FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom H4N + G3 Wireless Lav Set Up

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ry James
Zoom H4N + G3 Wireless Lav Set Up
on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:25:23 pm

I am using the Zoom h4n with Sennhieser Wireless G3 Lav kit. This is my question:

I have my settings at 48 16 bit.wav and Will sync in post with plural eyes. Assume, I am interviewing someone with the lav mic who speaks not too loud or too soft, which is the best AF( on the receiver )and Sensitivity(on transmitter) setting for the lav set and Zoom h4n input level?

For example,

I ran some tests with my zoom input level at about 65, my AF at -18db and my sensitivity at -9db. It sounded pretty clear and not too fuzzy when I brought it on final cut and it never got into the "red" area on the FCP sound monitor.

Based on an average persons voice, which setting is best? which db should I aim for on the FCP audio monitor meter?

I understand I am going to have to mix and match based on the person and how they speak but can you guys tell me how to approach this.

Someone recommended I do the following:

1. Hook transmitter up to talent
2. Adjust sensitivity based on their tone, loudness etc
3. Set Receiver(AF) to O db
4. Adjust Zoom recorder for it to peak at about - 12 db

Thanks

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Zoom H4N + G3 Wireless Lav Set Up
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:03:06 pm

Based on experience I would set the tx & rx at about -20 and adjust the level at the recorder accordingly. Peaks on the recorder at -12 are fine.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ry James
on Apr 7, 2011 at 5:11:32 pm

Thanks for the response. Is it not advisable to keep the Af at 0db and adjust the sensitivity based on the subject?

Is there kind of a golden rule for a level on the AF? It seems when I do -20 db for both it seems quite low, even when I crank the zoom.

I found -18db af and -12 db for sensitivity worked while when I tested it on myself.

Is it bad to have a large discrepancy in Af and sensitivity ?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 7, 2011 at 7:35:26 pm

If 18 & 12 worked for you & your setup then use that. I always have a mixer to use to adjust any gain issues for feeding a camera or recorder.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]