FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound Equipment for Summer (Outside/Hot/Humid)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Akeline Santos
Sound Equipment for Summer (Outside/Hot/Humid)
on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:13:29 pm

Hello people, I need someone to shed some light here. We run camps during the summer and our equipment stays out in the heat and humidity for about a month. I am looking for equipment that can handle this situation.
Most of our equipment goes down in the middle of our events or by the end. So, if it is not during the event, we need to take our equipment to repair at some point so we can use it again.

My main question is:

What brands or models would you suggest for this scenario: summer heat and humidity of Florida?
I am looking pretty much for audio mixers, equalizers, speakers, mics, amps, etc.

The only thing I've looked into was the Peavey XR 8300 for one of our small settings and other Peavey equipments.

Thanks for reading this. I will be waiting for you answer.
God Bless you.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Sound Equipment for Summer (Outside/Hot/Humid)
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:38:47 pm

Hello Akeline and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

What's the gig?

What do you currently use?

What's your budget?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Akeline Santos
on Apr 7, 2011 at 6:35:38 pm

Thanks for replying my post.

First, I dont know what is gig.

We have a variety of equipments that we got over the years. We have Mackie sound boards, Bose speakers, QSC Audio amps and the list goes on.
I don't know how much detail you want in what we have. If you have any questions, let me know.

What do you think of Peavey?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 7, 2011 at 7:42:40 pm

Gig is a term for job or use.

Eric

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:05:47 am

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are stating that you currently have equipment that you have used in the past at this camp and that this equipment has failed at some point and has needed repair. Is this correct?

Firstly, any gear will fail if it gets hot enough. It's a fact of physics that you can't get around. Mackie, Bose, QSC are all good quality manufacturers. If the problems you are having are due to overheating, then you need to find a way to keep whatever gear you own cooler. Perhaps covering them with a pop up tent - not the speakers necessarily, I'm thinking more of the mixer, eqs, amps, etc. Make sure that the amps have plenty of space around them for ventilation. If they are mounted in a rack, then perhaps leave a full rack space width between the amp and the next piece of gear in the rack, so that air (the primary coolant for gear) can easily move around it.

Again, I'm assuming that your equipment failure is due to overheating. It's possible that it could be due to something else entirely, such as dirty/poor power, etc...

Peavey makes fine equipment. I don't know that it's better (or worse, for that matter) than Mackie, QSC or Bose gear. In other words, the equipment manufacturers that you have now should be sufficient, especially compared to Peavey.

Rodney Morris
Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Akeline Santos
on Apr 8, 2011 at 1:55:41 pm

This is what we do.

Every summer we run a training camp for teenagers that wants to become missionaries or experience what a missionary life is like. Every night during this camp (which last for little more than a month) we have rallies, with a band doing the music, a speaker and other things we do. This all happens under a Circus Tent.
We have plant of dust, mosquitos, humidity, rain (it does not rain on the equipment, but it might do something), heat, people spraying bug repellent (which I heard it is not good for the equipment). So this is pretty much our place here in central Florida. In the middle of the summer.
Some of our equipment is also old. I dont know exactly how many years, but I dont know how long they should last, especially under this conditions. Should I have a plan to renew our equipment every X years.
If the equipment we have (brands) are good, what can we do to keep them running? Should I have a system of fans blowing on this equipment? Should we build little houses (racks) to keep them away from mosquitos and dust?
Now, we will probably have to replace some of this equipment. As we already know. We need a new mixer with about 16 channels, another powered mixer with 8 channels with also speakers and the whole set. The reason is because we have different groups meeting at the same time. So we need different systems. One for the big tent, and other smaller systems for smaller groups.
We need good and cheap microphones for back vocals.
I dont know exactly how much our board of directors will be willing to spend on this matter. We are a non-profit organization. We try our best to use our money wisely. That is why I am trying to find advice in how to get the best deals or even work in the way that we will preserve our equipment longer.

Thanks for all you guy's help. I really appreciate your time in this. And bear with my poor knowledge of sound equipment. I am just a beginner in this area.

PS: the reason I suggested Peavey is because I remember using a Peavey powered mixer 8 channels in a Church in Northern Brazil (really hot area) for about 10 years. Taking it out for retreats, with humidity, mosquitos, heat. Kind of the same scenario I have here in Florida. And this equipment, I believe is still there in that church. Working just fine. I don't know if we were just lucky with it or Peavey is really a good option for hot/humid weather.

Thanks again. God bless you all.

Akeline Santos
Isa. 40:31

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Apr 8, 2011 at 6:46:40 pm

Akeline, please email at rjmhotrod@yahoo.com. I live in Sarasota, FL and may be able to help you out with some on site evaluation if you are close enough.

Rodney Morris
Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 9, 2011 at 5:56:44 pm

There could be many different specific things that are killing your equipment. It would be helpful to know the make/model, age, previous treatment (abuse, did you get it used/donated?) of the equipment that failed. And it would be VERY helpful to know exactly what failed (what they had to do to fix it.)

Peavey does not have any particular good reputation either for products in general, or specifically for making rugged equipment that is more tolerant of abuse or adverse conditions.

Unless your users are very careless and/or you are in the middle of a swamp or something, there should be no reason to expect such a high failure rate. Does one particular staff member "own" the equipment? (in the sense that is their responsibility to see that it is properly used.) If not, then it may be a case that: if "everyone" is in charge, then NOBODY is in charge.

From the limited information you have told us here, it is not really even possible to tell whether the failures have anything to do with the ambient conditions. They may be due to abuse or neglect or simple ignorance of how to take care of it. Or, if the equipment was acquired used (or donated, etc.) prior abuse could be contributing to a higher failure rate.

What happens to the equipment "off-season"? How is it stored? Is it cleaned and examined at the end of the summer so that it can be brought back up to good condition for next season?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]