FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best microphone for $100?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Seitz
Best microphone for $100?
on Apr 7, 2011 at 12:54:59 pm

Hey guys - pretty easy question:

What is the best microphone I can buy for around $100?

I'll be using it for indoor Voice Overs; set in place by my computer and not being carried around. Also - will the quality be good enough for short films if I know what I'm doing in Soundbooth?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Best microphone for $100?
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:06:24 pm

For a bit more than $100 an Electrovoice RE-50 is a a very good choice. At around $100 the Shure SM-57 will do the job.

Eric

Return to posts index

Evan Seitz
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:23:38 pm

Thanks for the advice!

So, what's the difference between the "SM57" and the "SM57-LC Cardioid Dynamic Microphone" - via Amazon for both... just the direction? Which one would work better for VOs?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 7, 2011 at 7:40:52 pm

LC means "less cable" so you would have to supply your own XLR connecting cable. Otherwise they are exactly the same.

Eric

Return to posts index

Alain Koffi Sessi
on Apr 7, 2011 at 11:53:18 pm

I will go with the SM58. The SM57 is not a bad choice either, but the SM58 will be more suitable. I found that the 57 has a nasty tendency to pop if you are not using a pop filter.

Alain Koffi Sessi
Sound Designer

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Apr 8, 2011 at 1:29:25 pm

I second Alain, here. The SM57 and SM58 are absolutely identical apart from the SM58 having an integrated windscreen. The 58 is geared for vocals, but can replace a 57 anytime, while the contrary is less true. The difference in price between the two is less than the cost of the extra windscreen accessory for the 57, also. Both are absolutely indestructible. If you get an SM58, you'll be passing it on to your grandchildren.

If you're going to be recording only voice overs, though, I think you should look into the less expensive condenser mics available. In the last few years, the quality in the lower price range has become quite impressive. You can get an AudioTechnica AT2020 for around 100$, Studio Projects have a large-diaphragm condenser for a little over 100$, even AKG are playing on that field with the Perception line. This type of side-adress medium or large-diaphragm condenser is more suited for voice overs. You sacrifice some versatility and roll-over-it-with-a-car-yet-still-work-ability compared to the Shure SM line, but it would give fuller, warmer VO's in the proper conditions.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]