FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone familiar with this field mixer?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Balla
Anyone familiar with this field mixer?
on Apr 4, 2011 at 1:34:29 am

Hi all. I'm new here, and so pleased to be involved with this community. My question is about a Twelco TW-LP4 32 field mixer. I'm considering buying one, and was wondering if anyone has had real world experience using this mixer, or any of Twelco's mixers in general. The unit I'm looking at is a factory checked demo model, and I like the price. From what I've looked at, it seems similar to a Shure FP33, but with some added flexibility. I'd love to hear from anyone who's used this particular mixer or brand regarding reliability, service, and above all, quality of sound. FYI, I'll be using this with a ROde NTG3 and Sennheiser G3 wireless lavs. Thanks a lot! Andy

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Anyone familiar with this field mixer?
on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:56:16 am

Hello Andy,

Looks retro. The VU meters are a deal killer for me. I can't see any transformers on input or output.

How much do they want for it?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Andy Balla
on Apr 4, 2011 at 9:29:35 pm

Thanks for the input, Ty. The starting bid on it is $450, and no one has bid on it since I saw the listing about three days ago. I'd like to hear your take on why the analog meters are a deal killer. Do they not respond as quickly as LED meters? Or is it an accuracy issue? The more I've thought about this over the past few days, the more I'm thinking I should save my pennies for a Sound Devices 302. I think in the end, I will be happier spending the money on something that I KNOW will stand the test of time. That Twelco would be an upgrade from my Azden mixer, but after giving it some thought, I'd probably be upgrading again in a few years. Might as well bite the bullet and skip the middle ground.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:32:33 pm

Andy,

Regardless of your native land, think 302.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Andy Balla
on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:18:28 pm

I hear you, Ty! I guess you saw my post about this mixer elsewhere, huh? Yeah, after serious thought, and not finding anyone who's actually used one of these things, I've decided to hold off, deal with my crappy Azden mixer, and save up for the SD 302. I know I'll be a happier man for it!

Return to posts index

Spencer Moore
on Dec 19, 2011 at 3:12:10 pm

I know this post is a few months old, but it is one of the top results for someone searching "twelco mixer" on google. Twelco's are pretty well built and sound very clean. As someone who has worked with both Wendt and Sound devices mixers I can say for sure that this feel much more like a Wendt. Very analog, everything is switched and Knobs. However it is more ergonomic then a Wendt since the Twelco only has controls on the face and sides. There is no 'magic menu' like the sound devices, but then again you don't have to power cycle the mixer to make adjustments ;). Also Ty those are not VU meters, they are PPM meters, yes they're analog, but they show peak program levels and not an average VU like Wendt's meters. Its personal preference really what mixer you work with. I know many other mixers here in NYC who love pure analog equipment like Cooper and Sqn.

Return to posts index

Andy Balla
on Dec 19, 2011 at 11:06:51 pm

As the guy who started this thread way back when, thought I'd chime in. Contrary to my posts here, I couldn't resist the deal on the Twelco mixer, and ended up buying it. Since then, I've enjoyed the hell out of it! Its been a solid performer, always does what its told, and I can run it for two to three days off of an NP-1B battery, depending on the length of shoot day.

Anyway, this mixer was a huge step up for me, as a noob, and has great flexibility on both the input and output side of things. Funny you mentioned Cooper, Spencer, since that was the next mixer I have been checking out. I like the fact that my Twelco is all analogue with physical switches and knobs for every parameter...Makes things very clear to me. May not be the latest and greatest, but still quite capable in its own right.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:29:47 am

Andy,

I happy if you're happy, but your action does beg one question.

What were you using prior to your new find?

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:25:22 am

"Also Ty those are not VU meters, they are PPM meters, yes they're analog, but they show peak program levels and not an average VU like Wendt's meters."

Point taken, but they're still mechanical needles that wiggle. They suffer from the same problems as any mechanical meter which moves a mass, however light.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]