FORUMS: list search recent posts

can a Super Audio CD be burned as a MP3 CD

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcellus Watts
can a Super Audio CD be burned as a MP3 CD
on Apr 2, 2011 at 7:44:24 am

I know that an Audio CD is 700MB and can hold about 18 songs. I also know that an MP3 CD, once configured in iTunes, can hold about 150 songs, but of course the issue of lossless quality. My question is, if you have a Super Audio CD(SACD), which has a capacity of about 7.95 GB which is about 11 times the storage capacity of a regular CD, can you burn a MP3 CD onto a physical Super Audio CD? This would allow for....excuse the match....150X11=1650....1,650 songs on the SACD. And if it is possible, will it be able to play in standard CD players, DVD players and Computers?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: can a Super Audio CD be burned as a MP3 CD
on Apr 2, 2011 at 10:55:34 pm

Hello Marcellus and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

1. mp3 is a lossy compression.

2. Yes, If there's a software that will format burn SACDs like DVD-R discs by allowing mp3 (or other files for that matter) as a standard storage medium.

3. Are there any SACD players formatted to play other than SACDs?

I don't have an SACD player so I can't answer the questions. I do know that my DVD player recognizes CDs with mp3 files and one CD will play something like 11 hours of mp3 audio.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Marcellus Watts
on Apr 3, 2011 at 6:42:50 am

Thanks so much for the response....
If you read a little of the documentation Wikipedia has on the SACDs. It states that most Hybrid SACD(7.95) will play on conventional CD players. There are SACD players out there though. If this is the case, then your next question would be what software is out there that will burn the MP3s correctly on the SACD. Hopefully, the software would be iTunes(Mac), as you can configure iTunes to burn MP3 CDs, just not sure if you can burn to SACD. If this question is answered then, this is all I needed to know. I guess I'd have to test it out at some point.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 3, 2011 at 2:40:53 pm

Marcellus,

Your job, should you decide to accept it, will be to test that and get back to us with what you find. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

ps: the above is a reference to Mission Impossible.

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]