FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decent Toslink Cables

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aidan Clayton
Decent Toslink Cables
on Mar 30, 2011 at 7:39:16 pm

Hi, can anyone advise me on a good Toslink cable? The ones I have are so over engineered in their sleeving and weak in their connection with the unit that they are too heavy and pull out all the time whenever I move them or the USB Pre 2. Also, is it really necessary to have 24K Gold all over them seeing as they are optical? Is there an industry standard or can anyone recommend anything on a personal level?

Thanks

Aidan

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: Decent Toslink Cables
on Mar 31, 2011 at 4:19:52 pm

Hi Aidan,

Gold-plated optical cables, huh? That is one of the funniest things I've seen. The part they gold-plate is usually made of plastic! These cables have zero electronic contact!

Right off the bat, no modern digital connection benefits from gold plating.The vast majority of "high-end digital cables" for consumer formats are a pure scam. In digital formats, signal degradation is not really a concern. It takes major degradation for a digital signal to suffer and optical cables are not subject to RF interferences.

Incidentally, the best optical cables I have are some of the cheapest. They're the really thin ones with minimal shielding. You know those scary-thin optical cables that you look at the first time and think "I'll break those in a minute, I'll buy some expensive ones instead"? Those. They don't pull on the plug, they're a perfect balance of supple and rigid... they do the job perfectly.

I think mine are from some Korean semi-no-name brand which I don't remember. There is no reason to go overboard with optical cables. If you get any signal at all, you are getting full-quality signal.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Aidan Clayton
on Mar 31, 2011 at 4:38:00 pm

Hi, that's great advice. I just ordered two cheapo looking cables that looked the same as the cable on my first Technics CD player. 2.2mm.

Any ideas on a cable that would connect an iPhone to enable recording of calls?

Thanks

Aidan

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Apr 1, 2011 at 1:48:42 pm

Sorry, can't help you on the iPhone interfacing. I'm still resisting my inclusion into The Hive. I have an application to record calls on my Android phone in mp3 format, so I imagine something similar would exist for iPhone, unless that somehow violates Apple's terms.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]