FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this audio blown?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy lewis
Is this audio blown?
on Mar 26, 2011 at 6:17:49 pm

Should I fire the sound guy?

DPA 4060 into a zoom h4n. Levels get close to 0 in FCP but never above.
It sounds nasty to me every time the interviewee says "errm." Could it be limitations of the mic/recorder?

1797_blown.mov.zip

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Is this audio blown?
on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:32:12 am

I took the recording into pro tools. Its fine!
It goes high, but doesnt clip or distort. dropping "erm" by 4 db makes it fit well with the other material.
If its sounding bad your end id suggest i ts your soundcard or speakers that cant cope.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
Re: Is this audio blown?
on Mar 28, 2011 at 11:02:33 am

I brought the clip into audacity for a quick look and listen. Yes, there is some distortion on the word "um". I'm not going to assign any blame on your sound guy because I don't know what his setup procedure for this was. But I will say this - this is the same kind of distortion that I run into with the Zoom recorders when I feed line level signals into the line level inputs. Distortion occurs only on the loudest transients even though the levels appear to be fine on the recorder display. I set my reference tone at -20 at the recorder, I run the mic through my Sound Devices 442 (with limiting set at +14). I know the set up is right and yet I get this type of distortion. However, if I run a mic level signal into the mic level inputs of the Zoom (reset reference tone at -20, microphone running through 442 with limiter set at +14) this distortion goes away.

The DPA 4060 is a very good mic - not much limitation with it. But I'm not a big fan of the Zoom recorders for this very reason.

Rodney Morris
Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]