FORUMS: list search recent posts

What ot upgrade Sennheiser ME66 to?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
What ot upgrade Sennheiser ME66 to?
on Mar 20, 2011 at 11:12:02 am

Hi,

I have been using a Sennheiser ME66 for over 10 years. Recently I go to do a side by side comparison of a 416 and what really impressed me was as it has a tighter field you don't get so much echo when recording inside so you get a less boomy sound.

Thing is its a bit beyond my price range and I have heard very good things about the Rode NTG-3,would this be a worthwhile upgrade.

I generally use the mic for interviews, either mounted on the camera or with someone holding it with a pistol grip and Rycote Softie (I have thought of getting a blimp but I have never had wind noise problems whti this setup).

So is the NTG-3 the best option or are there others I should consider. If there are other microphones I should consider it would be good to have an house of sound quality and how tight the field it.

Currently I have a phantom power and battery back-end for the ME66. The phantom power is essential and the battery operation a nice to have.

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Filmmaker
http://www.funkytwig.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: What ot upgrade Sennheiser ME66 to?
on Mar 20, 2011 at 2:07:19 pm

Ben,

You need more than one mic. Shotguns for some situation, hyper or super cardioid mics for other situations.

Here's why http://gallery.me.com/tyreeford#100038

Yes there's a big difference between the two Sennheisers Not surprisingly the more expensive one sounds better. The Rode NTG-3, although well done, is wider than the MKH 416. Any shotgun mic with the element at the bottom of the interference tube is not what you want to use in typical interiors.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Mar 20, 2011 at 7:52:44 pm

Ty, thanks for your reply,

"Any shotgun mic with the element at the bottom of the interference tube is not what you want to use in typical interiors".

So are you saying the 416 has the element at the front of the tube and the ME66 at the Bottom?

I have done a bit of googleing and cant find out if NTE 3 has element at the top or the bottom, would the NTE 3 be a better general purpose interview mic than the ME66?

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Filmmaker
http://www.funkytwig.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 20, 2011 at 9:21:27 pm

Ben,

The only one I know with the element at the top is the Sanken CS-3e.

The Pearl has the sides filled.

I thought the video made it pretty clear that A SHOTGUN IS NOT AN ALL PURPOSE MIC. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]