FORUMS: list search recent posts

ADR ideas

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david knight
ADR ideas
on Mar 11, 2011 at 2:16:03 pm

Hey guys,

I am going to do some ADR for my final year student project and i wondered how everyone thinks the best way to record it. i have the equipment/location but im not sure if i should go with the image and audio option through headphones or just use the audio to prompt the actors.

any help would really be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: ADR ideas
on Mar 11, 2011 at 10:37:59 pm

Hello David and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The image might help them get into character.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
Re: ADR ideas
on Mar 12, 2011 at 8:46:31 am

I've done quite a bit of ADR for no/low/micro budget projects. I have found that with talent lacking ADR experience, although it is counter to accepted practices, "hear and repeat" gives the best results - play the line and the talent speaks it immediately afterwards. Of course you have to slide it back into the proper spot to line it up with the original line of dialog, but the performances - at least in my experience - tend to be better. I also have found that the inexperienced talent is distracted when they see themselves on the screen.

Every actor is going to be different; some will get into the swing of doing ADR quite easily, others will have great difficulty. You will have to treat each actor differently and use the approach that gives the best performance.

Anecdotally - I once did a session where it took over two and a half hours to get one seven word line. I did another session where it took about 20 minutes to complete seven minutes of dialog.

From a technical standpoint your best friend is Vocalign.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]