FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD302 Wireless Hop back up recorder

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Shakespeare
SD302 Wireless Hop back up recorder
on Feb 25, 2011 at 2:32:34 pm

Hello Again Guys!

I've got another question! I'm using SD302 to record audio which I am sending over to Canon XF305 using Sennheiser wireless TX and RX.

I'd like to be able to back up the audio (broadcast quality) incase the link goes down but don't have much money so can't afford anything like a 702T etc. What the best solution? Can I use the tape output and back up to Mini Disc or another source? Is this fairly simple?

Thank you!!!
Matt

Shakey

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: SD302 Wireless Hop back up recorder
on Feb 25, 2011 at 3:47:04 pm

That's what the tape output is for, to feed a recorder. The mini disc recorder will work just fine with the proper cables. There are also many inexpensive file based recorders that will work with your 302 without any problems. Keep in mind that the tape out signal
(-10) is hotter than mic level(-40) so connecting to the line input of a recorder is required.

Eric

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Feb 25, 2011 at 7:20:04 pm

[Matt Shakespeare] "I'm using SD302 to record audio"

The SD302 is a mixer so it is not possible to record audio with it. You could use something like a Zoom H4.

Return to posts index

Matt Shakespeare
on Feb 25, 2011 at 9:08:58 pm

Hi!

Thanks for the advice!

Yes, I didn't actually mean as a recorder but thank you for the heads-up! What cable do in need to get to lnk up from the tape output socket to a ZoomH4. Does the ZoomH4 record at a broadcastable quality?

Sorry if these are obvious questions!

Shakes!

Shakey

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Feb 26, 2011 at 12:46:22 am

The tape/mix out on the 302 is a mini xlr better known as a TA3M. You'll need a TA3F to a 1/4" TS or TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) with only the tip & sleeve connected. You'll need one connection for each line input channel on the recorder that you want to record to. It's not a easily available cable and would have to be custom made. You can get very good recordings with the H4 especially by going line level in from the 302. I can help with cable if you'd like. Contact: audioetc@bellsouth.net

Eric

Return to posts index

Matt Shakespeare
on Feb 26, 2011 at 1:01:17 am

Hey Eric

Thanks for that! I've been reading up and what you have said really helps! I think the Zoom H4N seems a good back up that isn't overly expensive.

When you say one connestion for each Line Input - how many Line Inputs are there on the recorder? Basically, I'll be mixing 3 channels on the SD302 to the left output so I just want to send over the mixed sound to the recorder. I'm not splitting left and right on the mixer.

I'd definitely order from you but am in London! However, I often do gigs in the States so when I'm out there I'll definitely bear you in mind for Audio gear!

Matt

Shakey

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Feb 26, 2011 at 1:24:58 am

There are two channels so two inputs either mic level via the xlr inputs or line via the 1/4" in the center of the xlr connector. For one channel feed, one cable. If you need help making the connector cable let me know & I'll email a diagram. Contact: audioetc@bellsouth.net.

Eric

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Feb 26, 2011 at 2:33:31 am

I noticed from your other thread that you are using 2 wireless lavs and a boom. I would not recommend panning all 3 to the left and sending that to camera as you are then married to the mix of lavs and boom in post.
I would suggest panning the lavs to one side and the boom to the other and then sending the 2 channels to camera. If you then set up the zoom H4 the same way, then the onboard camera mic would not be needed, as you would have your back up on the zoom incase the wireless feeds to camera goes down.
This of course would require another wireless send to camera but IMHO keeping lavs and boom separate for selection in post is a much better idea.
The way you have it now if you get static on one of your wireless mics then the whole take is ruined. At least with separation you can use the boom channel if that happens.

Return to posts index

Glen Ackers
on Mar 6, 2011 at 4:39:10 pm

It's a simple setup, I've used it for years with a Marantz 620. As previously mentioned, the tape out is -10db, so whichever recorder you choose needs meters and an adjustable input and set tone to -20dB. Make sure and get a slap clap for the editor, and double check your settings to make sure your recording a WAV file, not an MP3, and you'll have a broadcast quality recording.

~GA
TT On-Location Sound

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]