FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rode Lavalier without phantom power

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Rode Lavalier without phantom power
on Feb 23, 2011 at 11:45:00 am

Hi all,

I have a Rode Lavalier and a adapter to phantom powered XLR and phantom powered 3.5mm jack (i.e. Senhizer Radio/Edirol R-06). I also have a Canon HF100 which is great when I need a very small or unobtrusive Camera. Thing is it does not deliver phantom power. Is there anyway to connect the Rode Lavalier to it or do I need to record sound separately?

Ben

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Rode Lavalier without phantom power
on Feb 23, 2011 at 12:57:46 pm

You'll need a small mixer or other unit that can supply 48v phantom or 3v phantom w/o an xlr and also has a mic level output to feed the camera. If none of above is a viable option then a small recorder would be your next best choice, be sure use some kind of slate as a sync mark for post syncing.

Eric

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Feb 23, 2011 at 1:10:28 pm

Your camera does have a 3.5mm stereo mic input jack. I can't believe that it does not supply 1.5 to 3 volts for external mic use. Perhaps it's a function in the menu that turns on the mic voltage. Check the owners manual for specific information.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Feb 24, 2011 at 7:08:44 pm

It is a Canon 550D I am connecting ti to. I also have a Canon HF100. As far as I am aware prosuma, domestic camcorders and DSLR tend to have stereo 3.5mm jacks without phantom power.

Ben

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:06:50 pm

If that's the case then you'll either have to use a dynamic mic that doesn't rquire any phantom or a mic that has battery power. Have you tried plugging in a lav that requires powering to see if it works?

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]