FORUMS: list search recent posts

RE: Wireless Lav System Recs (Sen G3/Sony)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Larson
RE: Wireless Lav System Recs (Sen G3/Sony)
on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:21:02 pm

Greetings:

I'm looking to purchase a wireless lav system, and have looked at both the Sen G3 and Sony comparably priced systems. I know a lot of this is subjective, but has anyone used both brands or certain models and found they liked one over the other? Also, are there any considerations or specific concerns when choosing between A, B, or C frequency systems?

Blessings,

Craig Larson
August Heat Productions
Apple Valley, MN

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: RE: Wireless Lav System Recs (Sen G3/Sony)
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:25:00 am

Hello Craig and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

What Sony are you referring to?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Feb 22, 2011 at 5:38:54 am

The A,B & C blocks of Sennheiser have been changed to A, B & G blocks. The old Sennheiser C block covered 740-772 which are illegal here now. The A (518-554) & G (470-512) blocks are both very good, the B block which is 626 to 662 can be problematical. The Sennheiser G series are the leading wireless systems in their price range. Don't hear alot about the Sony system.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 22, 2011 at 2:34:51 pm

The Audio Technica 1800 series is also in that price/performance range.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/497597-REG/Audio_Technica_ATW_1811D_A...

I have a friend at a local medical institution who is very happy with his.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Doug Calhoun
on Feb 23, 2011 at 4:59:16 pm

Hi Craig,

I've just purchased the Senn G3 series moving from an old Sony WRR series system that was in the 700 range. The Senn is very easy to set up and is nice and quiet but doesn't quite have the range of the old Sony setup. I had a half dozen crackles over two days which aren't critical as I'm shooting training videos outdoors, at distances that at times push the boundary and they weren't over audio I needed.

My G3 is in the A range and performed overall very well, was easy to set up and seems sturdy enough for the volume of use it will get. The Sony was built like a tank but it's easier to change batteries in the Senn and the display on both the Senn trans and receiver are easier to see and thus the menus easier to navigate on the fly if needed. For example, the Sony LED was a very light green or gray color and the Senn is orange and larger, the buttons are more accessible and I could adjust quickly in bright daylight.

Bang for the buck, the Senn is really good, the trans and receiver are a bit smaller but the supplied mount is plastic and the build isn't as heavy. To be honest, because of the connection type on the Sony mics, I'd likely step up to a Lectrosonics if the Senn didn't work out, even when looking at other mics, the Senn connection is available on a variety of mics without having to custom wire ends etc.

The Sony gear was good and I have no complaints, but both stock mics are at the very low end so mic connections played a role in my decision as more immediate options are available with the Senn setup. Finding accessories seems easier on the Senn gear as well depending on what mics you use. My local music store stocks some of that stuff- clips etc.

Return to posts index

Craig Larson
on Feb 23, 2011 at 7:09:05 pm

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the replies! The Sony unit I was comparing to is Sony UWP-V6 or something similar to that line. Somewhat competitively priced, and seem pretty sturdy.

I also understand the mics on these things (Sen G3/Sony) are pretty bad. Is there a particular model that works well with either?

I'm still a bit confused on how to go about selecting A, B, or G channels, and which will work best in my area. I've looked at a chart on one manufacturers website that shows available frequencies, but not sure how to gauge which way to go.

Thanks again for you input!

Blessings,

Craig Larson
August Heat Productions
Apple Valley, MN

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 24, 2011 at 1:38:54 am

Craig,

Where are you?
Where do you shoot?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Craig Larson
on Feb 24, 2011 at 5:42:50 am

Ty:

I live in the Twin Cities and primarily shoot here. Occasionally I shoot out of town, but only a few times a year.

Blessings,

Craig Larson
August Heat Productions
Apple Valley, MN

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Feb 25, 2011 at 12:17:06 am

I have that Sony (Lav Mic & Bodypack TX, and Portable RX Wireless, not the Plug-on Tx) System and I think they're great. I haven't noticed any interference. It's easy to overload them with someone going from, say, conversation level (having set up the system for that) to a shout/loud laugh etc, but I don't know if it's better or worse than other lavs.

Overall, I'd buy another one. In fact, I did.

Extra plus for me: they can be set to take a line-in, so I can plug the Tx into an AV system to record auditorium audio.

Return to posts index

Craig Larson
on Feb 26, 2011 at 6:26:57 am

Martin:

Thanks for the input!

Blessings,

Craig

Craig Larson
August Heat Productions
Apple Valley, MN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]