FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on a shotgun mic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruno Toré
Advice on a shotgun mic
on Feb 15, 2011 at 10:37:29 pm

I am looking at these two mics linked bellow, or I should say Im looking to buy one
of these two mics I have worked with the Sennheiser a bunch and its ok
nothing special but does the job.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/73100-REG/Sennheiser_ME66_K6_COMBO_ME...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563798-REG/Rode_NTG_3_NTG_3_Precision...

I heard of the NTG3 and read some reviews and everyone raves it, do
you personally think its worth the price diference, and or do you
recommend something else, I cant afford to go much higher since I have to
buy a windshield, long xlr etc, etc...
Any wise words? Recommendations things to look for?

I guess I should had that Im purchasing this equipment for a documentary I will start shooting in a couple of weeks, I will unfortunately have to shoot almost half of the documentary without a professional sound crew. I will be capturing with this mic and with a wireless lavalier.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Advice on a shotgun mic
on Feb 15, 2011 at 11:43:16 pm

While the Rode is a very nice mic some of the advantages of the Sennheiser are that it doesn't require external 48v phantom power as it has an internal battery, it's also a modular system with many different capsules that can be interchanged for various sceanarios. For a starter set for not a lot of money I would go for the Sennheiser.

Eric

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Feb 16, 2011 at 2:12:05 am

After using both, I tend to prefer the Rode for it's tonal qualities (sources seemed more "crisp" when recorded with it rather than the ME66).

Then, we got an MKH416 and I never looked back. :-)

First thing to do: rent the ME66, NTG3, and an MKH416 and decide for yourself.

Second thing: Save up your money and buy an MKH416...it got to be an industry standard for a reason.

Third: Look into hypercardioids for indoor use.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 16, 2011 at 3:12:32 am

Hello Bruno and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Eric and Wolf each have good reasons. I'll sit in the middle and say the NTG-3 is a very nice mic, engineered after the MKH 416. It's a little wide in pattern than the 416,

I don't like the Sennheiser ME series, but they are cheaper.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bruno Toré
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:38:55 am

Thank you all for your advice I have to think a little more about it, I was planning on getting the Rode but Eric brought up a great point with the phantom power.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Bruno Toré
on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:02:47 am

I dont know if its crazy but I tried both and liked the Rode a little bit more than the seeinheiser.

Can you guys give me some advice on the following scenario:

If I got the rode and connect it to, and run phantom power from the H4N zoom I heard the battery dies pretty quickly and after 30m it starts making a weird high pitch sound.

So considering I am going to have to record it to the zoom (no other option right now), than should I just buy the sennheiser so I dont have to run phantom power to it or should I get something like this Denecke PS-1A - Portable Single Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply?
I hate how many small chunky things are getting added to this equipment list, but does this seem like a viable option?

Sound is my achilles heel in film I dont trust myself with it, but Im stuck making the decisions for this project. Hopefully I will become better at it.
I know this is not even close to an ideal scenario but this project is a personal important project that I know I wont have much financing till a later stage thus the back and forth and penny savings.

Thank you in advance for your time

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Feb 17, 2011 at 12:41:20 pm

You've answered your own question. If you get the Rode there's the recorder internal battery issue or an outboard battery powered preamp which is more dollars added. The choice is your's as to whether the somewhat better sound of the Rode is worth the extra dollars and the anxiety of having the recorders battery fail at the wrong time or carrying an out board preamp (more dollars) is worth it to you.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]