FORUMS: list search recent posts

problems playing audio from 8MM tapes

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david rodriguez
problems playing audio from 8MM tapes
on Feb 15, 2011 at 10:46:21 am

Hello,

I do not know if this question belongs to this forum, i really do not know for sure where to place it...
I am trying to capture all my old 8MM tapes and i have a problem with the audio. Some tapes were recorded with a very old Sony camcorder which is mono capable. Some others were recorded with a sony handycam stereo capable. When i capture from the sonyhand camcorderd tapes which were recorded with that camera there is no problem, when i insert tapes recorded with the older sony mono camera i get no sound out (video is OK)...
I have tried connecting only the white side but nothing.
Is there any difference between the tapes or the recording format ? As long as i see both are 8MM PAL tapes...
Any tips will be very appreciated.
If this question does not beloing here I would appreciate as well if you could indicate where i could place it.

Kind Regards

David Rodriguez

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: problems playing audio from 8MM tapes
on Feb 16, 2011 at 2:12:40 am

If you could provide model numbers that may help. Back in the day professional 8 millimeter had 4 channels of audio, 2 pcm and 2 afm. 2 of them were modulated into this video track on helical scan and those tracks with not playback on a mono camcorder. See if you can't find a local source for an EVO Series machine that would have access to all 4 channels.

Steve

Return to posts index

david rodriguez
on Feb 16, 2011 at 8:22:24 am

Hello Steve,

First of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. The camera I am using to capture is a Sony CCD-TR470E(video 8 handycam), the old camera which was used to record the tapes was a Sony CCD - V100E.

Kind Regards

David

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Feb 16, 2011 at 12:11:47 pm

Hi David,

Wow, not a whole lot of information available on those cameras. The poor pix I found showed the RF modulator with a single audio jack, but I didn't find any decent pix of the camera connections. I had a consumer 8mm cam early-90s and I'm thinking it had only 1 channel of mono audio. Not to be confused with a stereo camera taking the "mono" jack then actually sending the same signal as dual mono to each channel.

My first "pro" camera was a Toshiba TSC-200 Hi8 with the 4 channels and I remember not all of that audio was accessible on the Digi8 camera I keep around for the odd transfer.

I'll dig a up few tapes and see what I can figure out.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]