FORUMS: list search recent posts

Senn G3 or Lectro 100

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Calhoun
Senn G3 or Lectro 100
on Feb 12, 2011 at 11:26:15 pm

I produce training titles to DVD with no broadcast work. I'm curious if there is a noticeable difference between a Senn G3 system and a Lectro 100 series system both using a Sanken COS lav. 90% of my shooting is outdoors in open areas in the less than 100 foot distance range.

I realize that a jump to the Lectro 400 series steps me into another caliber of gear based on what I've read, but I can't swing it and am wondering if the difference in the Senn to Lectro 100 is worth it or should I get a G3 system/mic upgrade now and save for a 400 series?

Any input is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Senn G3 or Lectro 100
on Feb 13, 2011 at 3:37:00 am

I own several Senni G2 and Sony kits and also use Lectrosonics 100 + 400 series and Senni G3 kits for other jobs.

Lectrosonics Great kits, robust, 100 series non diversity, uses 9v batteries [high running costs] 100mw output [greater range] I hate the Freq. selection system

Sennheiser G3 Great kits, not as robust as Lectro, diversity receiver, uses AA batteries [low running costs] 30mw output (I believe) GREAT freq. scan feature, infra red data transfer from TX/RX. Average quality mic supplied with the kit.

If the kit was for a company with lots of users and battery costs didn't come into it.... Go Lectro.

If the kit has only a few careful users OR with limited budget for batteries... Go G3

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Senn G3 or Lectro 100
on Feb 13, 2011 at 4:25:50 pm

Doug, Welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I think Brian's got it right, but I do have questions about adaptive-diversity reception that I can't answer.

In the "old days", true diversity meant two antennae and two RF front ends. Over time, schemes with antennae switchers and one RF front end came along and eventually adaptive-diversity reception.

I don't think there's ever been a shootout as to which one works best. The anecdotal proof is that the mic works. I'm not trying to cast shade on Sennheiser here. I own two G2. The point I'm making is that a bullet list of features is usually filtered through any company's marketing department.

Transmit power is not a meaningful figure either. Surprisingly (to me anyway) a 50 mW Audio Ltd, transmitter goes farther than any 100mW rig I've seen and I have done the walk tests to prove it.

When I asked how come a 50mW transmitter could outdistance a 100 or 250 mW transmitter, I was told it was about how well the receiver was made. I am not prepared to explain in greater detail why that is so. I only know what I experienced personally.

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]