FORUMS: list search recent posts

wireless line out / levels

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simpson Parker
wireless line out / levels
on Feb 7, 2011 at 1:37:39 am

Hello Forum,

I have a question that may have been answered in several posts that I didn't put together..I apologize if it has. My knowledge is somewhat limited.

I've narrowed this week's purchase down to 2 potential recorders and a wireless beltpack system. My purchase is contingent on being sure the two will play nice.

Would you recommend a Senny G3 system, or a used lower end Lectro..there are a few on Ebay usually..like a 175DC/SR170AC, or perhaps a UCR 195?

Each of the two recorders I've studied, FR2-LE, and the TASCAM HD-P2, handle LINE INS differently. With the TASCAM, you have to use the RCA ins, or the pad on the XLR's.

Are most wireless beltpack receivers capable of a range of output levels, such as these? Would I use an XLR out?

Just looking for a little guidance on setting recorder input levels, an ideal path, or even buying a good recorder/wireless combo that you guys use and can offer set-up advice on.

thanks
Simpson

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: wireless line out / levels
on Feb 7, 2011 at 4:20:42 am

The Lectro 175 is a VHF system and is no longer made by Lectro. The Sennheiser G3 is a UHF system and a better choice with more flexibility. The lav mic that is included with the G3 is pretty useless so be prepared to buy a better lav. I would suggest the either the Countryman EMW or B3.

The Fostex Fr2LE is avery nice CF recorder, I have one and am very happy with it's overall performance. I always feed it at line level from a mixer using unbalanced XLR-F to 1/4" t/s cables but you can turn up the G3's receiver to at least +6 to drive the line inputs on the Fostex. The FR2le likes to see the level set @ -12dbfs although -20dbfs is industry standard. 24/48 is the preferred bit & sample rate setting.

Eric

Return to posts index

Simpson Parker
on Feb 9, 2011 at 11:54:05 pm

Eric,

Thanks for the response. On your FR2-LE, do you find monitoring the levels difficult? - regarding the
LED's being your only meter once inside of a bag.

Simpson

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Feb 10, 2011 at 11:57:03 am

I don't use a bag for audio. I always work off a cart. That said the front panel meters are basically useless, the top surface meters are more accurate which is a problem in a bag. One way you can protect yourself from hitting unwanted peaks is to set the FR's levels to -20dbfs instead of the -12 indicated on the top meters. Since there is no -20 marking on the meters I set about half way between 12 & 24 which should be about -18dbfs. Once the input levels are set tape down the recorders level controls so they don't get moved.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]