FORUMS: list search recent posts

Soldering & Making Cables

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Reynolds
Soldering & Making Cables
on Feb 3, 2011 at 8:43:53 am

Over recent times on forums and the young Audio Assistants I work with on TV Outside Broadcasts its becoming evident that people have not learnt the "art" of soldering. Now not directly and audio skill knowing how to solder and fault find basic cables is of GREAT benefit.
Knowing and having the ability to fault find and make your own cables will save you many $$$ over the years.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Soldering & Making Cables
on Feb 3, 2011 at 12:17:41 pm

Or, you can ask Eric Toline who contributes here regularly to make them for you. He does a good job, likes the work and doesn't cost much. I use a soldering gun and pencil, but I frequently call Eric and pay him to do it for me.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 3, 2011 at 8:28:29 pm

No I don't need cables made... what I'm saying is the up and coming generation of audio people have missed the VERY basic skills needed to do the job successfully.
Yes they can operate a computer screen and the many sub-menus but what happens when the plug breaks off the $500 pair of headphones?
Do you throw them away or send them halfway across the world to the manufacturer as they have no skills to replace it themselves.
Soldering and cable making is seeming to be a dying "art"... so what happens in 15-20 years?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 4, 2011 at 12:50:35 am

Brian,

I suspected that you didn't need Eric's services, but wanted others who may land on this thread to know where they might get help.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Feb 4, 2011 at 6:18:21 am

Soldering is a fundamental skill that has helped me with troubleshooting and correcting problems for a number of years now. I'm younger, at 23, and have been soldering since I taught myself in 11th grade. I've learned tips and techniques from other, more-experienced people, and have been able to improve my solder jobs' neatness and quickness because of that.

It's a great skill, and you can repair a number of things that you would just replace before. LEARN TO SOLDER!!!

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Feb 4, 2011 at 1:26:17 pm

AMEN, Brother! I grew up with a soldering iron from grade-school and have pretty much taken it for granted. It is amazing the number of problems that could be easily solved by simple logical debugging and mechanical repair skills. But it does seem to be a lost art.

OTOH, I have made some good "finds" of equipment that people are throwing out for lack of a simple repair. Even whole cameras, etc.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Mar 3, 2011 at 11:19:34 pm

Yeah. When I was growing up, electronics was a pretty common hobby. My Dad (an engineer at Bell Labs) taught me to solder. Then I had four courses on electronics in High School, majored in EE + Math in college, had summer jobs involving soldering, occasionally built electronics prototypes entirely by hand (including a couple Amiga 2000 computers; my last one was two weeks ago, a filter for something slightly higher than audio... a 700MHz five pole low pass filter, using 0402 components).

But I digress. Certainly, if you're making cables, solder or criming, you best know what you're doing. I've had the occasional kids working for me who prove to not know the basics. So I give them a free lesson. It's a useful investment. And while I only have a very nice Weller here, I got a Metcal for the office. Now that's soldering heaven!

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]