FORUMS: list search recent posts

Azden SMX-10 to computer

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Thomas
Azden SMX-10 to computer
on Feb 2, 2011 at 4:15:35 pm

I'm trying to record audio directly to my computer using my Azden SMX-10 mic and when I plug it in, the audio signal is SUPER low unless I speak very loudly with the mic almost down my throat. When plugged into my camera, it records just fine though. Do cameras amplify the signal while my computer does not? I'm on a MacBook Pro and my camera is a Canon Vixia series. Ultimately, I want to do some voice overs using Premiere Pro but I can't seem to get it to recognize the mic in PP either. Under System Preferences/Sound, I've switched the input to line in but still no luck.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Azden SMX-10 to computer
on Feb 2, 2011 at 5:44:40 pm

Switch it to mic input. Line input is a lower sensitivity for things like an external cd/dvd players output that have a higher output than a microphone.

Eric

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Feb 2, 2011 at 6:12:42 pm

There isn't a mic input option with sound preferences on the mac. I was able to amp the sound up in Soundbooth and apply noise reduction to eliminate the amped background noise and achieved pretty good sound, but I wish there was a way to amp the signal directly so I didn't have to do it in post every time.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 3, 2011 at 12:44:15 am

Hello Brian and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Your camera also makes a handy audio recorder, with benefits. :)

Record your tracks to the camera.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]