FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixer or small diaphragm condenser?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Dragomanovich
Mixer or small diaphragm condenser?
on Jan 31, 2011 at 11:25:51 pm

I'm trying to decide what is more important for receiving better interior dialogue. I'm looking at buying either a small diaphragm condenser microphone or a field mixer. I'm using a Zoom H4n field recorder with a Sennheiser 416 shotgun for both interior and exterior scenes. I love the 416 for exterior shoots, but not so much for indoors. I feel the condenser is probably the way to go, as it will solve many issues that the shotgun has when I’m recording indoors, but would like to get a few opinions first.

Also any suggestions on what condenser microphone would pair well sonically with the 416? The Schoeps MK41 is a bit out of my price range at this point otherwise I wouldn’t be asking this question. I’ve been leaning towards the MKH 50 but have read it doesn’t necessarily match well with the 416.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Mixer or small diaphragm condenser?
on Feb 1, 2011 at 3:33:29 am

Hard to say which mic will match your 416 to your satisfaction although both the Schoeps 641 & the Sennheiser MKH 50 have been used with 416's. As you know the 416 has a very unique voice so perhaps you can find a used Sennheiser 405 as a mate since they both come from the same era.

Eric

Return to posts index

John Weeks
Re: Mixer or small diaphragm condenser?
on Feb 19, 2011 at 3:06:51 pm

A voice over buddy of mine is using a Rode NTG-3 while his 416 is in the shop. It doesn't match perfectly, but comes close with a little eq.

John Weeks
http://www.johnweeksaudio.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]