FORUMS: list search recent posts

Neumann KMR 82i MT

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Doyle
Neumann KMR 82i MT
on Jan 29, 2011 at 3:46:19 am

I recently bought a lot of audio equipment at a bankruptcy auction for use in short films, interviews, commercials, etc. I am not going for an Emmy or Oscar.

Included in the auction was a Neumann KMR 82i. I know this mic is more than I need but thought I might keep it for my own use anyway, however, from what I read on a couple forums, it looks like it might be harder to use than say a Sennheiser 416 because it is so directional.

I have been using an ME66 & ME67 but want something better. Would the pros recommend that I keep the KMR 82i or sell it and buy a 416? If you think I should sell it, what is it worth? (Or should I post that question on the classifieds?) It is brand new with the foam windscreen and the leather tube carrying case.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Neumann KMR 82i MT
on Jan 29, 2011 at 7:42:16 am

What's wrong with directionality? The Neumann's polar plot looks like it only gets very directional from 2kHz and up. Everything beneath that will be picked up much more readily from the sides and behind.

If you already have a good shotgun mic, I would see what a going price on the Neumann is, and sell it. Put that money towards a new Neumann KM185 (hypercardioid) which will get you much better rear and side rejection, or at least smoother rejection over a larger frequency range.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Jimmy Doyle
on Jan 29, 2011 at 8:07:34 am

What I am concerned about is that I don't always have a professional boom operator and whether I can trust a PA or film student with limited experience with the 82i.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jan 29, 2011 at 2:41:59 pm

The 82i is a great mic but it has a narrow angle of acceptance. You have to be very accurate in your aiming of it, not something I would trust an amateur to do. You might get $1200-$1400 for it on a consignment listing or better yet see if you can do an even up swap for a Sanken CS3e or Sennheiser MKH 50. Try the consignment listings on trewaudio.com or ebay.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]