FORUMS: list search recent posts

a couple of phantom power questions

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david payne
a couple of phantom power questions
on Jan 25, 2011 at 11:23:37 am

Hi all,

I have a panasonic HMC151 camcorder which has a +48V phantom power switch for each audio input. When using my Senheisser ME66 and K6 power module with it last night I noticed that I didn't need to turn the battery switch to on (on the mic) in order for it to work. Is it really as simple as this switch on camera means I never need to have a battery inserted into the mic? Is there any disadvantage of having both set to on just in case? I tried this yesterday and couldn't hear any immediate problems but I dont have a particularly trained ear..

By pure coincidence another phantom power question thats come up lately is that I have a Soundcraft mixing desk at work to work with some surveillance mics in our training facility so we can listen to each room individually. When i turn the phantom power off on this board none of the mics work so I just leave it on all the time.

However I recently tried my senheisser wireless set up through the desk and found that there was a loud crackle and no noise from the mic when the phantom power switch on the desk was set to on, but worked fine when set to off.

As there is not a phantom power option for each individual channel on the desk (unless its called something different) is there a way to switch between surveillance mic in say room A to the wireless mic without having to remember to turn the phantom power switch on the desk off before I do so?

Many thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: a couple of phantom power questions
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:16:43 pm

Your mixer has what's called "global phantom power" meaning one switch for all phantom. You shouldn't have any issues with feeding a wireless into a mic input with phantom power on. It's not reccomended but it won't hurt anything. If you have a non powered line input module on your mixer you could try turning up the wireless receiver output to the max and plugging it in there and see if that works for you. You'll need a different output cable, most likely 3.5mm trs to 1/4" trs.

Eric

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:27:38 pm

Forgot to add this to my previous reply. Regarding your Sennheiser mics, you should only have one power source running at a time either the internal battery or the 48vp from the camera. I would choose the internal battery and shut off the camera 48v phantom. You'll save a bit of camera battery power that way.

Eric

Return to posts index

david payne
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:44:37 pm

regarding the camera or mic +48V ok will do, its a good thing to have it on the camera should the battery fail half way through a wedding ceremony!

regarding the sound desk which is a soundcraft EPM12 I have just tried to go into the line input using a 3.5 to 3.5 cable with a mic (not headphone) 3.5 to 1/4" adapter on the end and it still did not work. I still find I need the global phantom power set to off for this not to result in lots of interference type sound (you can JUST about hear the speaker in the background when turned right up)

I dont think the transmitter has a separate output volume of its own to try turning that up to full and the desk down low.

I really appreciate your advice and hope you have more!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:33:14 pm

You turn up the receiver's output level until you get a good level on your mixer when the mixer is set to a normal position. Turning up the incoming signal and turning down the mixer cancels out the action. Make sure you have the proper cables. Is your Sennheiser wireless the G2 or G3 EW 100 series?

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 25, 2011 at 8:10:07 pm

and strangely, some battery powered mics require even a dead battery in the slot to pass external phantom power properly.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

david payne
on Jan 26, 2011 at 10:38:13 am

[Ty Ford] "and strangely, some battery powered mics require even a dead battery in the slot to pass external phantom power properly."

thats interesting. i didnt try it with the battery removed only the battery switched off.

Ok so thats the camera issue pretty much solved... just this soundcraft desk phantom power issue to go!

Return to posts index

david payne
on Jan 26, 2011 at 10:13:39 am

its the G3 EW 100 Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]