FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless Tuner and Microphone Compatibility

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Muncy
Wireless Tuner and Microphone Compatibility
on Jan 25, 2011 at 1:45:01 am

Hello All,

This is my first time posting on the audio forum here, and I was looking for a little clarification/help. I'm trying to expand my audio knowledge when it comes to video production, and not just concentrate on the video side of things.
Anyways, I just recently bought a Sony wireless microphone wireless system which has worked great thus far. On my next shoot, the client I am working for wants three people on wireless microphones. I have a Sony URX-P2 tuner, and when I looked it up on Sony's site, it said it was for use with the UWP Sony microphone series, which is the wireless lav mic I have.
However, I was wondering if my tuner will be compatible with any microphone as long as it falls within the frequency ranges of my tuner. I know this may seem like a simple question, but I wanted to just get clarification on it so I can prepare for my shoot accordingly. Any comments or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Wireless Tuner and Microphone Compatibility
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:55:11 am

It is generally not safe to assume that any particular wireless receiver works with any transmitter on the same frequency or channel. It would be unusual for TX/RX of different brands (or even models) to be fully compatible. It might work in some cases, but I would not consider it to be reliable enough for serious use. There are several additional factors besides simply what frequency/channel is used.

Note further that since a receiver can "hear" only one transmitter at a time, you always need a separate receiver for each transmitter.

To be sure, there are some combinations that work as you are asking. For example there are kits available with a single receiver and two transmitters, one "body pack" for clip-on lav use, and one "butt plug" transmitter for hand-held use. But they are specifically designed so that both transmitters are compatible with the receiver. And you can use only one of the transmitters at a time.

Return to posts index

Dustin Muncy
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:01:47 pm

Thank for you for the information and advice. Unfortunately, I never followed how audio was hooked up on other productions I have worked on. So in your experience and opinion, what would be the best way to go about hooking up a wireless system so that I could run three wireless lav mics?

Do I need to find a specialized system that is capable of handling that? Do I need three separate receivers for three separate transmitters and run those to a mixer? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:19:21 pm

Each lav will require it's own transmitter and receiver; each set must each have discreet frequencies so they do not interfere with each other. Each receiver will require it's own audio input channel. In an optimum situation each audio input channel would be recorded on a separate audio channel, otherwise they will have to be mixed together.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:36:27 pm

That's why it's called sound mixing. Seperate channels or ISO's are for backup & post production use should it be required.

Eric

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jan 26, 2011 at 3:38:39 pm

Dustin-
Forgive me for being blunt, but this sounds a little like you are starting to get in over your head. Do all three mics need to be wireless? Also, you really DO need a mixer -- and someone to operate it. If it were my gig I'd hire a sound guy who would come with the mics, the mixer and the knowledge how to get the most out of the gear.

Return to posts index

Dustin Muncy
on Jan 26, 2011 at 4:02:46 pm

Thank you everyone who has been able to to give me some feedback about my shoot and the best opportunities to go about it.

To Nick - I completely agree. Being on the video side, I can handle a wireless lav here and there and basic audio to my camera. I told the company (it's a marketing company that hired me to shoot these videos for a client) that there would be no way that I could run a mixer AND concentrate on shooting video. Needless to say since they weren't willing to spend any more money they adapted what they were going to shoot so that the interviews and people we are following will be done individually so as not to worry about complex mic set ups. Granted, from this thread and some research I have been doing, I know in the future to make sure clients budget for an audio guy when set ups become more complex.

This is part of the learning curve I suppose since I only graduated last year. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]