FORUMS: list search recent posts

Other free audio editing software?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth Sutton
Other free audio editing software?
on Jan 20, 2011 at 9:34:43 pm

I'm a user of Soundtrack Pro, but I was wondering if there is any freeware audio editing software packages available online. I'm doing a presentation for middle school kids in three weeks about audio editing and wanted to give them some sites they could go to in order to to help edit the audio in their videos. Some kids won't have Logic or Soundtrack Pro and I would like to show them free or cheaper alternatives. Any links would be mucho appreciated; thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Other free audio editing software?
on Jan 21, 2011 at 12:01:19 am

Here ia a link to a free program called "Audacity" a simple audio program that works quite well...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jan 21, 2011 at 12:30:33 am

Audacity is good, Reaper is pretty nice, too.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Jan 21, 2011 at 3:20:36 pm

Reaper is the one even the pros with ridiculously expensive PTHD systems use. I'm far from the only person running it behind PT to sidestep some limitations. It really is a full-fledged production tool, more so than Soundtrack could ever aspire to be in its present form. And completely free. As in beer.

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Kenneth Sutton
on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:27:45 pm

Interesting. Is it as good or better at filtering noise like Soundtrack's Noise Print is?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:32:10 pm

I'm not aware that GB has that feature. it may, I just never bothered to look.

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Jan 24, 2011 at 4:57:33 pm

I don't think Reaper has its own built-in denoising engine. For that, as for most signal processing, it is dependant on plugins. I'm sitting on some very good denoising plugs and do all that kind of thing in ProTools anyways. As far as plugins go, Apple's own Noise Print is not so bad as a static denoiser, but there are way more powerful (and expensive) dedicated tools out there. I doubt you can do much better on noise removal without some outlay. It's a particularly pointed market.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 21, 2011 at 3:59:29 pm

Hello Ken and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

If you're using STP, then Garage Band is right under your nose. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Kenneth Sutton
on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:25:50 pm

Yeah, I'm aware of that but haven't really played with it. I like your clip of you playing guitar. Where's the mic? How did you record that?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:30:59 pm

Ken,

Canon XL2 in my studio. Mic to mixer to camera, FW to a Mac Titanium laptop recorded with Quicktime.

The foam pop filter of the mic is barely visible on the sofa arm to your left.

To get Garage Band to accept really good outside audio, I think you need a good mic, an audio to USB thingee -- I like the Centrance mic port Pro -- and some headphones. My preference is Sony MDR 7506.

Then you need to go to the Mac's Audio/MIDI control panel in the utilities folder and switch the input to the plugged in Mic Port Pro. Then go to the Mac Preferences panel and choose audio to make sure it's showing Mic Port Pro as the input. Then start Garage Band and go to Garage Band Preferences and choose Mic Port Pro. When It asks if you want it to change drivers, say YES.

Choose a NEW TRACK in Garage Band. Make it a Real Instrument. When that pops up on the timeline, there's a little blip to the left of that strip that's a "record ready" track arming click on. Click there to make it red. You'll probably want to turn off the metronome. I forget which main menu that's under, but you'll find it.

Then at the bottom, you'll see the transport controls. On the left is a red button. Click on that and you're recording.

The rest is top secret. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

I haven't tried to upload anything before. Let's see if this works. It an instrumental track I made with my telecaster into axeport pro and garage band loops.

1534_axeport.mp3.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]