FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring audio on Sony f900r

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Denton
Monitoring audio on Sony f900r
on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:56:20 pm

Hi all,

I recently came across a monitoring problem in the Sony CineAlta f900r and I was wondering whether it was me missing a simple switch or whether it is a flaw in the camera.

I was sending a split left and right channel to the cameras rear inputs. When monitoring of my mixer I had channel one coming to my left ear and channel 2 coming to my right. But when I listened to the return from the camera I could only get a mix of both channels through both ears. On the camera monitoring section the only choices were 1/3, mix, 2/4 and 3/4. When I looked at the level meter on the side of the camera I could see that it was recording the channels separately. I just couldn't monitor separately. Is there no way to split monitor channels 1 and 2 on this camera? It seems like a pretty big design flaw audio wise if so?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Monitoring audio on Sony f900r
on Jan 19, 2011 at 4:26:32 am

If you were sending one mic to both channels it doesn't matter. OTOH if you were sending a boom & a lav to seperate tracks and want hear them individually then you have a monitoring problem. I'm not sure but there might be a 5 pin audio out XLR-M connection on the camera that you could wire up an adapter box to select what you want to hear. Other than that WYSISWYG.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ed Denton
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:57:58 pm

Obviously if I'm only using one mic then it doesn't matter. Throughout the shoot I was using different combinations of mics, sometimes 2 radio mics, sometimes a boom and a radio mic, sometimes 2 boom mics. But at all times I had one routed to camera channel 1 and the other to camera channel 2. It seems very strange that monitoring on the camera doesn't include a 1/2 split only a 1+2 mix.

Sound Devices 552
Lectrosonics UM400a/UCR411a
Sanken COS-11 D
Rode NTG-3
Oktava MK-012

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:28:48 pm

Be thankful you can monitor anything. Today it's almost all wireless hops to the camera where you have no monitor return.

Eric

Return to posts index

John Hatcher
on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:31:01 pm

I think it might be an issue in the menu of that camera. I've had weird issues with Sony XDCAM cameras like that where it would mix my return and not put channel 1 on left and channel 2 on my right side for some reason. We tried and tried to figure it out.

You shouldn't need another blasted external box to do this. Try looking in that menu next time you work with one. There are some hidden menus too sometimes you have to dig down into. Lemme know if you figure it out and I'll do the same thing next time! :)

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 21, 2011 at 4:02:38 pm

Hello Ed and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Sony, among others, have for some time allowed left on, right only, mono only mixes from their professional camera headphone outputs. If there's a 5-pin XLR marked AUDIO on the camera, your lost split will be found there.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]