FORUMS: list search recent posts

Telephone Recordings, In-Ear Monitors, etc.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abby Johnson
Telephone Recordings, In-Ear Monitors, etc.
on Jan 18, 2011 at 4:38:12 pm

I work for an online media company that publishes broadcast-style news videos. Most of the videos we produce are packaged pieces that include sound bytes from Skype interviews and telephone interviews. To do this, I conduct the interview and record the actual package, but the selected sound clips have to be added in post-production. This model works but involves a lot of post-production.

What we would like to do is conduct Skype interviews/telephone interviews while we're recording video. However, we're having problems figuring out how I (the reporter) can hear the interviewee and vice versa. We're willing to invest in in-ear monitors and a new phone system, but we just don't know what we need. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Telephone Recordings, In-Ear Monitors, etc.
on Jan 18, 2011 at 6:44:27 pm

HI
So where is the reporter. Remote or with you at a computer.
Do you have a mixing desk.
Are you on a Mac or PC

Without knowing of a dedicated solution, I know that here at home I can record digitally the audio into either / both my pc and MAC machines of ANY audio source that either computer has available. I do this merely by having a suitably flexible soundcard installed (Blackmagic Decklink extreme on the mac) that allows internal routing of the audio, be it youtube, skype, itunes, online tv etc etc, into an audio application. On the PC and the mac Ive Pro Tools but its just a recorder. I set this soundcard AES EBU out (or spdif) source as an input within the application and away I go.
So if you want this audio into a video setup, Id just then route out of Pro tools to any other device I like on a cable.

So thats the far end taken care of, recorded locally and routed out to a camera, VTR etc.

If the reporter is local to you, then just stick the incoming audio through a mixer, so you can give him a monitor feed, and he can use the handset to talk to far end (in which case youd mic him up locally and feed this to the camera / VTR, or set up a new bus in Pro tools, mic through the desk, mixminus subgroup out to the PT, and then route the soundcard inputs internally from the PT, and the far end will get that mix.

Its a bit of a patch, but would work. It depends what kit youve got, and how familiar you are with audio routing in applications flexible enough to do it, like Nuendo, Pro Tools etc etc.

To do the phone patch, Id get one of these (if youre in the UK) Overseas youll need to get something locally for your system.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/bt-socket-recording-lead-30350
or a Telephone balance unit. Both will get the far end caller onto a desk, where you can route it to a camera / vtr and away you go. Mic reporter locally as in skype setup.

Peter
Dubbingmixer

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Telephone Recordings, In-Ear Monitors, etc.
on Jan 19, 2011 at 1:43:40 am

JK Audio is one of the standard brands over here in the US.

The QuickTap IFB might work for you.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]