FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dealing with mic wire clutter and handling noise

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Connoly
Dealing with mic wire clutter and handling noise
on Jan 18, 2011 at 2:15:16 am

Shooting audio for video and a single mic, I'm having trouble keeping the thick XLR cable under control and preventing handling noise caused by the operators hands or other objects bumping the cable. The mic is connected to a separate audio recorder, not the video camera. Any tutorial on subject would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Dealing with mic wire clutter and handling noise
on Jan 18, 2011 at 2:13:52 pm

Is the mic on a boom pole?

Dave J

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
on Jan 18, 2011 at 2:26:16 pm

or a shock mount?

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jan 18, 2011 at 2:46:58 pm

How think of a mic cable are we talking about here? Most of the ones I use are around 1/4" to 5/16" in diameter and are very flexible and manageable.

Did you go out and buy a Monster?

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Jan 18, 2011 at 3:20:13 pm

The mic is on a shock mount but not a boom pole.

I am using a 15 or 20 foot XLR cable from B&H (it's their house brand, Pearstone). Here is the 15 foot version: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/574245-REG/Pearstone_C24136_15_3_Pin_...

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 18, 2011 at 6:57:58 pm

Is someone holding the shock mount.

Cant you run a spear through the heart of anyone who touches it causing the noises? They need to leave the set.

Id whip open the xlr and check youve no stray threads. If youre getting a lot of cracks with barely a any movement, that suggests a fault to me, either in the mic (try an different one) PSU (is it phantom etc) or the cable (easiest to fix).

If youre recording it sep, make sure someone is listening to every word of the recording, and KNOWS that no crackle occurred over dialogue, and if it does, get it done again. Directors wont be pleased to be told there was a fault at the edit! And the Dubbing mixer will be livid!

Peter
Dubbingmixer

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jan 19, 2011 at 4:34:49 am

Try a different cable. If the problem is still there then it's not the cable. Then you have to check the input connection in your recorder. A process of elimination will pin point the problem area.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]