FORUMS: list search recent posts

video and audio t/c?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Mack
video and audio t/c?
on Jan 9, 2011 at 2:21:14 am

Next week I am going into a studio with a band to film the process of their making of an album. What I want to do is to capture like 8 tracks of audio into my video interface (IOHD). So I want the engineer to give me 8 lines in so I can not have to sync it up later. Here is the question: If I want to get timecode from the engineer, how would I do that? I have LTC input on the IOHD.I don't quite understand if his clock is set on 44.1 timebase, how will that code work with my 48 K capture.

I probably don't even need it but if I ever have to reference back to a point in video with the engineer, I would like to ask him to pull up T/C so and so that is on my timeline.

Jeff

and thanks for the time

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: video and audio t/c?
on Jan 9, 2011 at 12:49:10 pm

I think for ease all round, if hes on 44.1 (and he should be if its for cd) then Id set yourself to 44.1 also. Youll not hear any difference, and it will eliminate potential problems.

In theory you could run ltc on what ever you like, as its an analogue feed and merely defines the length of 1 second or 1 frame. But its simplest to run matched audio wise. If youre going to run digital audio feeds into your hd capture, then youll need to match sr to see a signal. SR conversions can take place but only as a post issue "i think" and not a live record.

It would seem to me that youll end up with multiple passes of the same LTC code. If its like any album ive engineered (and there have been a few) it wont be pass where many people play along together. Its singe elements over and over with drop in and outs, vocals overdubs, harmonies etc etc etc into the night.

Good luck

Peter

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jan 9, 2011 at 4:14:17 pm

It would seem to me that youll end up with multiple passes of the same LTC code. If its like any album ive engineered (and there have been a few) it wont be pass where many people play along together. Its singe elements over and over with drop in and outs, vocals overdubs, harmonies etc etc etc into the night.

Hi Peter, This is EXACTLY what we are going to do. The concept will be for me to film each singular piece, then when we get to the vocals, I'll add the session players playing back up, then the finished vocals, then the band will do the complete song a couple of times. Then I will shoot the leader with the engineer as they talk about the song and the key audio parts.

Then my promo video will be edited showing the layering of efforts to produce the final product.

So I'm thinking out loud, if I need to go back afterwards or decide to get the engineers mix vs. my discrete capture, it would be nice to have the reference.

All in all though, I can see it might not be that necessary.

Tye, I am using A/D converters to capture AES into the IOHD or if they can give me AES directly, I'll do that.
Jeff

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 9, 2011 at 1:34:55 pm

Hello Jeff and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

If he gives you analog audio, sample rate is not an issue. From the IOHD site...

Audio Connectivity
Io HD's extensive audio support makes integration with professional audio gear easy; tie Io HD to a digital audio mixer or DAW output with 8-channel 24-bit 48kHz AES audio via BNC connections. For multi-channel audio mastering, 8-channel SDI embedded 24-bit 48kHz audio is also provided. Io HD features high-quality input sample-rate conversion on AES inputs, which eliminates the need for audio source synchronization. You can even input and output up to 8 embedded channels on the HDMI inputs and outputs. Balanced analog XLR connections are also provided along with two unbalanced RCA connectors for connection to consumer monitoring devices.

Oh, only four analog inputs on your IOHD, that's unfortunate. Do you really need 8?

OTOH, it looks like if you can use the AES inputs to sample rate convert, so you should be good to go.

I would call AJA, tell them what you're trying to do and ask for their best solution.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Jan 10, 2011 at 10:51:38 pm

If there's a way to display (on a video monitor) the time code from the audio recorder, you can manually sync with fewer problems.

(You could just set up a small video camera shooting a close-up of the unit's TC display, then feed that camera to a video monitor that's facing the area where you're recording the band.)

As you start to shoot each take, flip the camera around a grab a few seconds of the audio recorder's TC as it displays on the video monitor.
(Do that on EACH re-start.)

Then, in the edit, you'll have a few seconds to view (in each shot) the original TC visible in the video.
BUT, your actual in-camera TC will be continuous and clean.

That can save you a lot of post production headaches.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:43:42 am

great idea. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]