FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording Audio for Cannon 5d/7d shoots

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dana Mroczek
Recording Audio for Cannon 5d/7d shoots
on Jan 3, 2011 at 6:37:05 pm

Hello!

I run audio on a lot of shoots that are using Cannon 5d/7d camera's with no audio inputs these days. I will be running a shure fp33 into a Sound devices 702 but don't currently have away to back this up while recording (Usually would run into the 702 and the camera). I am looking for a somewhat in expensive solution and was wondering what others have been doing in similar situations?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Recording Audio for Cannon 5d/7d shoots
on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:27:19 pm

The use of 5D & 7D cameras has certainly changed the way things happen, some good some bad but it is what it is.....
To back-up the SD 702 maybe a Zoom H4n [I know its not up to the same standard] but its a backup and better than recording on the camera itself.
Use a larger GB card and fresh batteries and let it wild record the entire shoot rather than stop start.
Have we got complacent with lower cost gear, back in the 1/4 tape and Nagra days there was NO backup.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Dana Mroczek
on Jan 4, 2011 at 2:19:34 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
on Jan 4, 2011 at 1:29:44 am

I use both the Zoom H4N or Rode Video Mic, you can also, hook up a Sennhieser Wireless mics direct to the camera.

The only issue is making sure to do a test clip and playback to make sure you mic is recording.

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:59:10 am

Hello Dana and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

How 'bout the Sony M10?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jan 4, 2011 at 8:47:48 pm

One negative side of the Sony M10 is it uses micro SD or memory micro stick and its internal storage to record onto, I prefer a standard SD card that is then handed & charged to the client at the and of the shoot.
The SD card is becoming a standard in the Video, Audio and Photo world, easy to find... even at the local corner store, a bit like AA batteries.
XLR inputs and phantom power are a plus also.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Dana Mroczek
on Jan 6, 2011 at 5:48:05 am

Thank you Sam. You have a great blog, I will definitely keep reading.

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:45:21 pm

I'm with Ty. Use the 3.5mm Tape Out on the FP33 and plug it into the line-level 3.5mm input on a Sony PCM-M10.

I do a lot of shoots with DSLR cameras now-a-days, and I always make two copies of the audio in my bag. I record onto a Edirol R09HR and a Zoom H4n. The reason I suggest the PCM-M10 is that (like the Edirol R09HR) it's a good little recorder, but the PCM-M10 has the best battery life in the whole portable audio recorder market by a landslide.

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

Dana Mroczek
on Jan 4, 2011 at 4:48:59 pm

Ty and Sam,

Thank you! I have never looked into the Sony PCM-M10 but will now. I have used the Zoom H4n many times but have never been satisfied with it's "line" level 1/4 inputs. I always get a very hot signal still and in the end even when I am pushing towards peaking it I still get a fairly quiet recording. Thanks for the advice!!

Return to posts index

Dana Mroczek
on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:07:50 pm

Also Sam,

Would running the tape out of the fp33 into the Sony PCM line in be a summed (L R) mono track?

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:46:55 pm

The FP33 comes stock with the Tape Out set at stereo line-level. You can adjust it to be summed L+R mono or mic-level by opening it up and doing some soldering.

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:55:16 pm

Where are you setting the recorder levels? -12dbfs is best for these small recorders.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]