FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making the jump into full time freelance

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dana Mroczek
Making the jump into full time freelance
on Dec 21, 2010 at 4:39:04 am

Hello everyone!

I am about to make the move into full time freelance sound production and was wondering if any of the veteran pros out here would have any advice. I have been working part time as a location sound mixer/boom op for about a year and half as well as working a full time job. I have pretty consistent work from two video production companies but because of the full time job have not been able to branch out from there. I am excited and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Making the jump into full time freelance
on Dec 22, 2010 at 4:06:26 am

Hello Dana and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Where are you?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Dana Mroczek
on Dec 22, 2010 at 4:11:50 am

Hey Ty thank you for the greeting. I live in South Bend IN, about an 1.5 hours from Chicago.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 22, 2010 at 3:00:03 pm

Hey Dana,

You bet. Having a couple of good clients is good. Making sure there are others in the area when you aren't working for the others, or if they go down.

Check to make sure your gear is up to it. Check to see if there's an IATSE chapter that works in your area and see if it makes sense to join.

Be a good audio citizen. Don't try to hijack their clients by low balling. It will only come back to haunt you.

Find out who the good guys are in your area. Let them know who you are. If you can't handle a gig, be prepared to pass it forward to them, or work with them. I have a short list of guys here in town that know the code and I'm very comfortable in handing off clients if I'm booked because my friends won't try to take my clients. We share gear if someone has a need for a piece that the other needs for a gig. We usually have a rental fee for that. Sometimes we just do "a solid"; a favor we do for free.

And don't forget the ramps (internet newsgroup) party at NAB, usually tuesday night. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Dana Mroczek
on Dec 22, 2010 at 7:52:35 pm

Ty,

Any advice is always reassuring, thanks. As for gear right now I have a Shure fp33 w/break away cable, a Sanken CS3e shotgun, 2 sennhieser lav systems, tram TR50's, boom and rode blimp. I do not have a recorder which is my next purchase. The companies I work with have a H4n which I use but would prefer to get something better. The Sound Devices 552 is my goal but might get something cheaper in the mean time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]