FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom h4 battery compartment lid

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Zoom h4 battery compartment lid
on Dec 17, 2010 at 8:07:23 pm

I have a Zoom h4, and would use it except that the battery compartment seems too insecure. The lid lifts and of course the power goes out - end of recording.

Since I'm putting this on a remote vehicle to back up my wireless recording, I am unable to monitor the device. So this is a dealbreaker. Has someone else encountered this problem and come up with a solution? Is this a part that I just need to replace?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Zoom h4 battery compartment lid
on Dec 17, 2010 at 9:24:44 pm

G-tape?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Zoom h4 fix and alternative?
on Dec 17, 2010 at 10:21:12 pm

Good idea, both for the battery compartment and for keeping the XLR connections tight.

The H4 has a very poor design for the battery compartment. I think this has been fixed in the H4n. But in the H4 the compartment closes at one end, which makes a moveable part (the lid) responsible for a snug fit with the battery.

Tech support gave me a couple of good ideas: retightening the lid with the little black screw on the back; don't keep batteries in it; if you've kept batteries in it too long, you may need to stick a pencil in and pull up the bottom springs.

I'm looking for another audio recorder now. Better battery compartment of course, more secure XLR connection, & less susceptible to inadvertently turning off the record button. Ideally, so I wouldn't need to place more than one lavalier mic, it would also have an XLR pass-through to my wireless transmitter. My main use for the device would be to back up a wireless, and I'd hope to need the actual audio from the portable device rarely.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Zoom h4 fix and alternative?
on Dec 19, 2010 at 7:53:22 pm

Hi
My zooms battery compartment has been held on with gaffer tape almost since i bought it. BUT when i used it in a vehicle where I needed a long record time recently, I used a car 12v adaptor to the 12v input to power it from the cigarette lighter. (best use of a cig lighter ive ever found!)Thast way id no worries about battery cost, running out etc etc.
Bits from Maplins in the UK were about £20.
Peter

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Dec 19, 2010 at 7:57:31 pm

My Zoom H4 says "DC9v" on the back. Were you able to use a 12v cigarette adapter straight in, without transforming to 9v?

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 19, 2010 at 8:59:06 pm

NO, thatll blow it.
The car adapter i bought had a rotary voltage selector on it which allowed selection of multiple different voltages. It also had a whole variety of different adapter shapes and styles to choose the correct one. I recall i had to look carefully at the polarity too to not get things reversed.
But it did work beautifully in the end, recording continuously for a 3 day shoot onto 3 x 32 gig SDHC cards.
Im sure this was it

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37423
Cheers
Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 20, 2010 at 2:11:27 am

They're still putting cigarette lighter in cars?

Not in the US.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Dec 20, 2010 at 3:32:38 am

It's called a 12v auxillary power socket today but you can plug a lighter into it.

Eric

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 20, 2010 at 11:59:21 am

An interesting observation Ty. yes they still call them cigarette lighters here, but as has been rightly observed, smoking is a dying habit. I think most people use them now for sat navs, phone power, dvd players for the kids etc etc. - an Zoom powering!
Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 20, 2010 at 3:30:00 pm

Peter,

Do they allow smoking on European flights?

Over here, for many years, the pre-takeoff announcement includes info that smoking is not allowed, even in the bathroom. There are no more ashtrays in the seat arms.

I thought it was universal, but someone mentioned that on some flights elsewhere in the world, smoking was permitted.

What say you?

Season's Best,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 20, 2010 at 3:55:39 pm

Ive not been on a flight, train, or in any workplace or even a pub or nightclub where smoking is permitted for some years now here in the UK. Is outlawed in any indoor public space or workplace. Of course a car is personal space to the rules about cars (and their 12v adapters, where this all started) have not changed.
I Dont smoke personally thank heavens.
Cheers

Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]