FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mic/Preamp recommendation? Want to sing along to a piano. Greyson Chance Like!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Krats
Mic/Preamp recommendation? Want to sing along to a piano. Greyson Chance Like!
on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:03:35 am

Hey, school just ended and I want to continue a new hobby I picked up this summer. But I don't know which microphone to get and pre-amp.

I picked up piano this summer after playing it for the first time at someone's house last christmas. Already I've covered a few songs and got quite a number of views on youtube. So I feel I can do more.

I bought my first midi keyboard this summer (piano too expensive) and plan on recording the piano through my PC.

Can you guys recommend me a microphone to get so that I can try singing along with my own piano arrangements? If possible (IF), is there a mic that tends to 'make people sound better'? I know some mics make people sound worse, and singing in the shower always sounds better, so I was wondering if there's a mic that can kind of 'replicate this' :P

School ended and I just found out about a kid named Greyson Chance on youtube. I got extremely motivated. I know I could record something like that if I took the time to do it.

Anyways, thanks a bunch! I plan on ordering it this weekend to get here before christmas.

Oh yeah, my budget: Anything reasonable as long as its a good deal and good product. Dont mind spending around 200/300 for a good mic andr preamp.

For FYI, My Hardware:
Intel i7 Professor
1 Axiom 66 Pro Midi Keyboard
Native Instruments Piano VST Package
EWQL Platinum Plus's Play Edition VST Orchestra Package
Line 6 Toneport UX2 Instrument input control panel.
Dynamic Shure Mic ($20 at bestbuy): PG58

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Mic/Preamp recommendation? Want to sing along to a piano. Greyson Chance Like!
on Dec 16, 2010 at 3:40:15 pm

Hello Tony and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

The "in the shower" sound only sounds better if you are in the shower and you're the person who's singing. To confirm this, get someone else in the shower with you and see if they think you sound better. Trust me, you won't. :)

You need two things: a mic and a way to get it into your computer.

I don't know for a fact that PCs can accept audio from two different USB inputs, if yours can, you can put your MIDI keyboard in one USB port and get a Centrance Mic Port Pro and a Shure SM58 for the other.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
Re: Mic/Preamp recommendation? Want to sing along to a piano. Greyson Chance Like!
on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:02:44 pm

The "in the shower" sound you like so much is a combination of reverberation, slap echo and standing waves. Whatever program you record in should have plug-ins that can help simulate the reverb and echo. Standing waves have to do with the distance between parallel walls and the frequency of the note being played/sung. When you sing in the shower you will find one note (generally lower in pitch) that seems to be louder than the others even though you are singing at the same volume. That note (frequency) is the standing wave of that space.

Rodney Morris
Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Dec 19, 2010 at 7:35:16 am

For a mic preamp, I recommend the Presonus TubePre. If you want a channel strip style, look for a Symetrix 528e voice processor.

For a microphone, I can recommend a couple: Audio-Technica 3035 (discontinued but still around...search for it on eBay), Rode NT1-A, AKG Perception 220 or 420. MAKE SURE YOU GET A SHOCKMOUNT FOR THE MIC!!!

Other things to think about:

- Cabling:
15' XLR, star-quad type cable
5' XLR(F)-TRS(M) cable

- Monitoring
Headphones (Equation Audio's RP-21s are nice and affordable)
Studio Monitors of some sort.

- Accessories
Mic Stand(s) - spend the money now for a good stand that won't droop under a heavy mic (Atlas, Ultimate Stands, and K&M come to mind)
Pop Filter(s) - a coat hanger and pair of pantyhose can work well if cash is tight. A dual-stage filter is best, with 2 screens instead of one.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]