FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching amp for Soundtube CM-EZ-II ceiling speakers?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Happersteen
Matching amp for Soundtube CM-EZ-II ceiling speakers?
on Nov 30, 2010 at 2:37:31 am

I've been trying to find an amplifier to match a pair of Soundtube CM-EZ-II speakers, but haven't had much luck at B&H or sweetwater.

Spec sheet: http://www.soundtube.com/Data/Techsheets/CM_EZ_II_Tech.pdf

These were intended to mirror installations that have been done with a pair of Soundtube CM82-EZ speakers matched with an Extron MPA152 amplifier.

The amp was about $200 and weighed about half a pound. The amp would have to be light enough so that a ceiling tile could support it. I don't have the tools or materials to mount equipment above the tile ceiling because everything is concrete.

Is there something similar I could match up with the CM-EZ-II speakers?

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Matching amp for Soundtube CM-EZ-II ceiling speakers?
on Dec 2, 2010 at 9:59:59 pm

I suggest some light reading.

Meanwhile, what you really need is an amp that is meant for low-voltage distribution (25V, 70V, or 100V). You'll wire the speakers up in parallel (one to the next) and choose the tap on each speaker that gives you the max SPL you desire. Make sure you put a HPF on the audio input, otherwise you'll saturate the transformer with too much LF.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Greg Happersteen
on Dec 6, 2010 at 5:29:45 am

Ok, most of that just went way over my head, including the "light reading". >_<

I don't see how any of that was applicable to the original question regarding choosing the right amp for the speakers.

With those particular speakers, I have the option of using an amp supporting 25V, 70V, 100V or 8 ohm, since there is an internal transformer with a switch to select the different modes.

I was looking for something light-weight which would match the speaker's wattage on any of those modes. The amps I have found so far are either under powered or are at least several pounds in weight.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Dec 6, 2010 at 8:28:25 am

Sorry - didn't see the part about the voice coil direct tap...

In THAT case, you could use a power amp that's rated for 80W @ 8 Ohms. That will allow audio peaks to pass cleanly (i.e. no clipping); judging from the type of speaker, this is for background music or paging, so your levels will not not need to be that loud anyway.

You should ask this question in another forum for more help. This amp should work fine as long as levels are kept in check.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Greg Happersteen
on Dec 9, 2010 at 6:51:26 pm

Great, thanks for the two links :)

The speakers are for meeting rooms, which are connected to a podium with a PC and DVD player.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]