FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio (mixer) questions from a video guy

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Burger
Audio (mixer) questions from a video guy
on Nov 25, 2010 at 10:43:58 pm

I hope this is not a too dumb question, but I am very inexperienced in the whole audio field and so I hope someone might be kind enough to help me or give me a hint...
I have a small 4-channel mixer, that I use with a condenser microphone for voice recording. I normally record through an external sound-card (fire-wire) directly into my computer. So far no problems.

Recently I bought a Zoom-H1 for field recording purposes (mainly atmo sounds) and voice recording with a lav. I am quite happy with it, cause the quality is more than adequate for me.

I wondered, if it's possible to record through the mixer directly into the Zoom instead of the computer. So I plugged the main-mix into the line-in of the Zoom, but what I got was way(!) too loud. I almost thought, I blew my Zoom.
I had to decrease the input level of the Zoom and the output level of the main-mix from the mixer almost to zero, to get the right volume.

Is this the way to do it? Or am I totally doing things wrong?
Is there another way (e.g. another output to use, another device to put between the mixer and the Zoom...) to record directly to the Zoom-H1?

As mentioned before, I hope this question is not too dumb!

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Audio (mixer) questions from a video guy
on Nov 26, 2010 at 1:14:19 am

What mixer are you using, does it have a built in tone generator? The normal way to calibrate the mixer/recorder would be to send a "0" level tone from the mixer to the recorder and set the recorder input level to -20dbfs.

From what you say it almost sounds like your recorder is set for mic level input. Is there some switch or menu setting that changes the input from mic to line?

Eric

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 26, 2010 at 1:35:34 am

Found your problem. The external input is for a microphone only not for a line level signal. You could always add a 40-50db pad to your mixers line out connection or if you can, set the mixer for mic level out.

The problem is the "line in" designation on the recorder leading one to think it's a line level input. I gueess that's why they have a picture of a mic next to the input connector. In cases like this it's always a good idea to RTFM.

Eric

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 26, 2010 at 1:49:21 am

Thanks for your reply, Eric!

I was so slow trying to write understandable english, that you were faster with your second post than I was with my answer to your first!

I did read the manual - but the wrong one (the one of the mixer)... Shame on me!

Again: Thank you very much! Greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 26, 2010 at 2:40:54 am

Your english is fine. I would think your problem is now more understandable. Glad I could help.

Eric

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 26, 2010 at 3:06:25 am

Problem/solution is crystal clear now, thanks again!

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
One more question
on Nov 29, 2010 at 6:45:44 pm

Eric, I've got one more question.

Is there a difference concerning line-levels between the "Main Mix" of a mixer and say a "CD/Tape" output mix. Couldn't find anything about that in the manuals (english and german).
If it matters, I have a (please don't laugh - I know it's anything but professional) Behringer XENYX 802 mixer.

Any information greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: One more question
on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:10:29 pm

By the look at the block diagram of the 802 mixer they are both the same..... except for the type of connector.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/downloads/pdf/802_P0575_V_YY.pdf

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:44:10 pm

Thank you, Brian!

Since I don't know nothing about electronics and diagrams, I appreciate it very much, that you translated it for me.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Nov 30, 2010 at 6:36:02 am

Peter, Even you have no idea of electronics, spend some time looking at the block diagram, follow the path from the input connector through to the output. If you can get grasp of why and how the mixer works you will benefit with a greater knowledge in future jobs.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/downloads/pdf/802_P0575_V_YY.pdf

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 30, 2010 at 8:36:17 am

Thank you, Brian!
Hope you didn't understand my answer as an offense. Really wasn't meant that way. I'm very thankful for any input, since I have so much to learn about audio.

So, thanks again! Much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Dec 1, 2010 at 3:50:54 am

'Eric, I've got one more question.

Is there a difference concerning line-levels between the "Main Mix" of a mixer and say a "CD/Tape" output mix. Couldn't find anything about that in the manuals (english and german).
If it matters, I have a (please don't laugh - I know it's anything but professional) Behringer XENYX 802 mixer.

Any information greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance."
------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter,

Yes there is a difference between the main mix out and the tape ot levels. Main mixout is usually at "0" level or 1.23 volts ac, tape out is at -10/.75v ac and is commonly called prosumer level. Your CD players output is at -10. Your home stereo receiver has -10 input and output levels on all the RCA connections on the back panel. Matching input to output levels is a good thing.

Eric

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Dec 1, 2010 at 8:10:15 am

Thank you Eric!

This was exactly the information, I was looking for! Gives me the last missing piece of the puzzle!
Combining Brians answer ("same mix") and yours ("different line-levels") AND the the info on the zoom website ("...this jack accepts stereo line-level inputs to be used in capturing audio from cassette decks, record players and other analog sources..."), I was able to get things working!

You make me a happy man! Thanks for your contributions! Learned a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]