FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mics for M/S Boom

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Armin Siegwarth
Mics for M/S Boom
on Nov 24, 2010 at 4:23:25 am

Hi,

I have been on a documentary job with Neumann 81 and Schoeps CCM 8 and got mad with the handling noise on the Schoeps.

Also it needs very good mic preamps - on an SQN 4 at least 2 to 3 o'clock.

I think about buying Sound Devices 788T and I think that the SQN preamps are better than the sound devices but not sure on that.

But back to M/S.
Most of the time I do not need it, but in a few situations it gave really more feel to the situation.
I really like the neuman 81 as shotgun. I do own two Sennheiser 416 but get enough of the sound from them - too crunchy for me.

So I like to try a "softer" combination with not too much handling noise but enough sensity. Any suggestions? Anybody tried the Neuman KM 120? Or the AKG CK 94?

Sennheiser 418 or the AudioTechnica M/S mic sound quite similar to the 416 to me - a bit too harsh.

From the price point of view I think about a Rode NTG-3 for its pleasant sound - quite near (but not as good) as a Neuman 81 from my quick test.

Any ideas?

PS: The Sony 680 sounds really good to me - but ony matrix Stereo and no M/S. Its a an M/S mic construction and they should have build the function to give M/S out as well...

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Mics for M/S Boom
on Nov 24, 2010 at 5:26:19 pm

I have the Sennheiser 418S and didn't particularly notice any harshness. You will get a lot of handling noise with the Schoeps; it takes some practice to minimize this while booming with it. But, it's always been my favorite mike.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Mics for M/S Boom
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:48:51 pm

Hello Armin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I reviewed the 418S when it came out and found it sounded very much like the 416, which was their aim.
It was a bit more extended on the top end, but not emphasized. Yes, they both have fairly aggressive presence peaks. The NTG-3 is wider in pattern than the 416.

The Neumann RSM 191 has always impressed me. Haven't used it on a boom though.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/146369-REG/Neumann_RSM_191_A_S_RSM_19...

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]