FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some questions on Dolby Digital

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcello Mazzilli
Some questions on Dolby Digital
on Nov 20, 2010 at 7:15:37 pm

Hi, I know this is not a strictly professional question but I hope somebody can help me.
I have a Samsung series 8000 Led TV set and a Samsung HT-C5500 Home Theatre Dolby Digital 5.1. Up connection (from HT to TV) is in HDMI. Down connection (from TV to HT) is with optical audio cable. Both have DNLA (Wifi) capabilities so I am streaming video from my Mac to the 2 8on or the other as I only have one WiFi USB key).

But...

When I stream a movie with a 5.1 track to the HT I can watch it in Dolby Digital 5.1. When I stream the same movie, with the same transcoder to the TV it seems that I hear only stereo.

Also.. when I watch digital TV directly on the TV and select a movie I get a Dolby Digital info on the screen.. but again... no surround sound in the HT.

To me this means that the optical audio cable is not passing the surround information to the Home Theater equipment but only stereo. Is this normal? Isn't it wrong? Should and audio optical cable be able to pass also 5.1 info ?

Thanks to who can help (Samsung italian support doesn't answer)

M.

siRoma di Marcello Mazzilli
Corporate video productions in Italy
http://www.siroma.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Some questions on Dolby Digital
on Nov 21, 2010 at 12:24:38 pm

[Marcello Mazzilli] "To me this means that the optical audio cable is not passing the surround information to the Home Theater equipment but only stereo. Is this normal? Isn't it wrong? Should and audio optical cable be able to pass also 5.1 info ?"

Hello Marcello and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Maybe the receiving piece is not capable of decoding the 5.1, or you need to do some menu diving.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Nov 22, 2010 at 1:26:31 pm

Hi Marcello
This TV stuff is amazing! I have a PDP50 Smasung plasma and BR player and HDMI is amazing, along with the Ethernet connection and DLNA stuff. I play videos & pix from my Droid2 wirelessly to my TV. Spiffy!

I'll look around this week and see if I can duplicate your issue with the optical connection. But in the meantime as I learn more about HDMI, you may pick something up here http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=10.... I had no idea that HDMI can be bi-directional using the correct category of cable. Since your HT and TV are both Samsung, that may allow you to eliminate the optic cable.

Steve

Return to posts index

Marcello Mazzilli
on Nov 22, 2010 at 1:36:21 pm

I knew about this bidirectional HDMI but it seems Samsung is not adopting this system. They rely only on optical output and this is where I have the problem.

Yes.. this DNLA is amazing. I am trying to push it to the limits.. I seem able to watch a 10 Gb file rippred from a Blueray... I get problems with a 24 rip that breaks down in playback.

At first I streamed to iPad with Air Video wich is a great software (still haven't found something better in DNLA standard).. but unfortunately is not DNLA compliant (only for iPad or iPod).

At present the best solutions I found for Mac are Eyeconnect and Vuze. The first is 50$ and allows PAUSE in the video. The second is free but once the video starts the only other option is STOP... Al these softwares seem to have problems with FFWD and REW.

But at present.. is almost all fixed.. a part from this optical cable that pssses only stereo info and not 5.1 info (really a pity)

siRoma di Marcello Mazzilli
Corporate video productions in Italy
http://www.siroma.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]