FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for a Combiner, I think...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Carleton
Looking for a Combiner, I think...
on Nov 20, 2010 at 5:11:28 am

I am looking to take stereo mic and use it on mono recorder. If my impression is correct, I need either a mixer or a combiner.

The catch is I am going to be using this on a home made version of the Manfrotto 595B Fig Rig. So I am looking for something that is portable.

The Mic is 1/8 stereo plub and the recorder takes a 1/8 mono plug. Any suggestions?

Sam

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Looking for a Combiner, I think...
on Nov 20, 2010 at 12:42:59 pm

Hello Sam and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

http://www.audioadapter.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?key=Adpt-MSFMMM&preadd=act...

and, who's your daddy. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

BTW, which recorder?

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Sam Carleton
on Nov 20, 2010 at 2:46:10 pm

Ty,

It is my understanding that one of these stereo female to mono male plugs are designed for when the thing being plugged into it is passive. Example: A pair of stereo headphones being plugged into a mono source.

The problem I seeing with using it with an active stereo mic is there will be a charge coming in from both the left and the right sides from the mic, in the adapter, they will mix and ultimately burn out one side or both sides of the mic.

It actually eludes to the fact that this should only be used go to from mono to stereo, not the other way around in in the second half of the description:

Description: This is a Stereo Mini Jack going to a Mono Mini Plug. Will deliver the mono signal to both sides of the Mini-Jack.

Sam

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 20, 2010 at 3:11:20 pm

Sam,

Mics don't generate enough voltage to burn anything out. Maybe it won't work, but that's as bad as it'll get. A different problem can occur if the stereo mic needs phantom power on each capsule, but since you're mics have unbalanced 1/8" TRS plugs, they don't use Phantom Power anyway.

Of course it's mono to both channels. That what a combiner does. What did you expect?

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Sam Carleton
on Nov 20, 2010 at 6:22:27 pm

Forgive me, I didn't realize in this forum when someone has a different option then one of the moderators is an argument. I apology for arguing with you. Thank you for the link and taking the time to reply to me, despite my poor behavior.

Sam

P.S. I see that what is on the web site is not what was emailed me. Here is what I am replying to:

-------------------
Sam,

Mics don't generate enough voltage to burn anything out. A different problem can occur if the stereo mic needs phantom power on each capsule, but since you're mics have unbalanced 1/8" TRS plugs, they don't use Phantom Power anyway.

Of course it's mono to both channels. That what a combiner does. What did you expect, stereo?

I gave you a solution. If you don't want to do that, fine, but don't argue with me about it.

Ty Ford
-------------------

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 20, 2010 at 7:07:29 pm

Sam,

I think it was one of those "reads different than the intent" text exchanges from both sides. Your response came off to me with a lot of unnecessary angst. That occurred to me after my first post which is why I edited mine. You chose to copy and paste my original in your reply. I hope you feel that makes us even. Here's something else that might seal the deal. I apologize for my initial response.

So, do you feel you got a solution?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Sam Carleton
on Nov 20, 2010 at 7:29:10 pm

Ty,

Apology accepted. As far as a solution, I opted to do some searching on passive mixer schematics and I found this link:

http://www.all-electric.com/schematic/simp_mix.htm

It looks like making a real basic one just calls for some 10K resisters, so I am going to give that a try.

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Nov 21, 2010 at 4:46:11 am

I'll come at this from another direction.

If you are just recording in mono, I don't see any need to combine the outputs from "both sides" of a stereo mic.

In fact, I think that could cause some unwanted phase issues that would degrade the signal.

My suggestion would be to only connect one "side" (channel) of the mic to the recorder's input.

Mono mic,
mono recorder,
mono recording.

Return to posts index

Sam Carleton
on Nov 21, 2010 at 5:19:37 am

Yea, that was my initial thought, too, just use one channel. The reason I discounted that idea was that I am afraid I will get sort of strange audio, only getting half the mic. Here is the mic in questions:

ECZ-990 Shotgun Microphone

I am under the impression that if I where to only use the left side, anything on the right would be abnormally quite, sounding abnormal. Thus the desire to simply combine both sides into a mono signal.

Sam

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 21, 2010 at 12:15:05 pm

Sam,

What are you recording and what do you want to do with it?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 22, 2010 at 12:00:49 am

I think the
ECZ-990 Shotgun Microphone
is a mono mike with a stereo plug attached, sending the mono signal to both channels.
Most manufacturers will say in their specs if a mike is stereo.

I would try Ty's $2 solution and maybe even give him a chance to recommend a better mike for your needs.

If I'm wrong and that is a stereo mike that you need to mix down to mono, the mixer, without adding noise to the signal, would cost way more than a decent mono mike for a given shoot. Certainly way more than the Azden you have now.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]