FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do you mix in the field?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Connoly
Do you mix in the field?
on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:01:30 pm

When recording multiple tracks (such as multiple voices and background), would you typically want to mix in the field to get stereo output. Or do you record all of the tracks separately and mix them later on the computer? It seems to me that mixing in post would give you better results because you can deal with changing situations, but then what accounts for the popularity of field mixers?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Do you mix in the field?
on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:45:48 pm

Hello Tony,

If you have a mixer with two outputs, you run out of places to put individual sources. In that case, you mix. There are many other reasons to use a good mixer. From a previous post...

Hi,

I just got asked this again the other day and, since the question comes up pretty regularly, I thought I take a proactive measure.

Mixers are more than knobs that let you vary the volume.

1. They let you vary volumes without shaking the camera or getting in the way of the camera op.
2. You may need to do that a lot with some people. I ride gain even if one person is talking if their voice fades on the end of each line. You can only do this in a relatively quiet environment, otherwise you bring up the ambient noise.
3. Mixer preamps (good ones) sound better than camera preamps.
4. Good mixers have input transformers that scrape off RF before it get into your audio.
5. Good mixers have limiters that allow you to record hotter, keeping your audio further above the noise floor without distorting.
6. Good limtiers have EQ that lets you roll of LF HVAC noise before it gets into your audio.
7. Good mixers have mulitple outputs so you can feed more than one camera, or separate recorder simultaneously.
8. Good mixers make your sound better. If they didn't pros wouldn't use them.

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:53:02 pm

If I want something that takes X inputs and does all (or some) of the good stuff in your list but outputs them to X (the same number) outputs, is that still called a mixer or is it just a preamp or something else?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 17, 2010 at 1:02:06 pm

Well, it would have to have built in mic preamps with Phantom Power, presuming your mics require Phantom Power and most condenser mics do.

How many separate tracks do you actually need?

For your general reference: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/dv0209/index.php?startid=20

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]