FORUMS: list search recent posts

what would be an ideal set-up for ADR (additional dialogue recording)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Priscila Torre
what would be an ideal set-up for ADR (additional dialogue recording)
on Nov 13, 2010 at 7:38:45 pm

Hey everyone!

Im working on a project that has already been shot and edited and noticed that some of the audio isn't as clean as we'd like it to be. Therefore, we plan on re-recording the dialogue from the scenes that need the most work by having the actors reread their lines while watching themselves on the film.

We plan on using some sort of digital audio converter/recorder thats hooked up to both a mic and the computer. That way the recordings would be automatically stored while being recorded.

Are there any particular digital audio converters/recorders that would work best in this scenario without busting our wallets? What would be the ideal set-up for an at home ADR session?

Thanks & look forward to reading responses!
Priscila

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: what would be an ideal set-up for ADR (additional dialogue recording)
on Nov 14, 2010 at 3:31:48 am

What NLE did you use for picture edit? Many have audio programs that you can use for ADR. FCP has Soundtrack Pro, Premiere has Soundbooth, etc. You can use the VO Tool in FCP, too. Then you need a decent mic and mic pre and a way to get the signal into your system. If you search the forum you should find a number of suggestions of how to "treat" a room for recording to eliminate hollowness, echo, etc..

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 14, 2010 at 5:36:55 am

John is spot on.

Also don't forget to allow for the fact that the spacial conditions in post will almost always be significantly different than in field production. So you'll likely have to "tune" your new recordings to best match what you got in the field. It's often useful to use the SAME audio gear used for your field recording in the studio, since that will give you the best sonic match.

ADR (I actually prefer the original acronym translation of Automatic Dialog Replacement -which better focuses on the idea that you're trying to MATCH the tone and sound of what you've already recorded, not just replace one set of sounds with another.) is never easy. But you're correct that if you want the best results you need to set up a recording chain that allows the talent to SEE and monitor the original VO recording and video a couple of times, before you "punch in" the replacement track. This can be easily handled by using a double system setup where you record ALL the performance and then just match the "good takes" in post. The rest of the process is just switching the mic and the playback tracks into and/or out of the talent mix.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Nov 14, 2010 at 7:43:45 am

You want to record in a space that is not very reverberant, so that you can choose how you want the space to affect the recording(s).

I decided to redo all of the audio for a student film that I was working on. It was a massive undertaking, but it worked out nicely for a number of reasons:

1. Talented Actors - they did what we asked them to, were VERY patient and flexible, and re-performed their parts flawlessly.

2. Proper mic and placement to source(s) - I used the same exact shotgun mic that we used on location. While recording group parts, I had each actor stand approximately where they stood during the actual shoot.

3. Choose appropriate ambient noises, reverb, and Foley FX and KEEP THEM SUBTLE - Always use less than you think you want to have; more can be added in later.

4. Allot 3x the amount of time you think it will take for ADR - you will ALWAYS go to the last minute...it's all about perfection.

That's all I've got for you now...it's late here, time for bed. :-)

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 15, 2010 at 1:13:42 pm

Id strongly suggest that you use the same mics as were used on the shoot. That way youll have eliminated a whole raft of adjustments in 1 go.
ALSO you need to set up a cueing system. Let the actor hear the part that pre ceeds and follows so they now tonally how it should be. Then set up a loop.
I use 3 short cue beeps and the position of the silent 4th beep is the start moment. that way its repeatable. Many prefer cue wipes but the gear for this is quite spcshilist (misspelled on purpose to not get caught by the profanity filter) and the 3 beeps work well for me.
Use enclosed headphones on the performer to elimiante audio bleed from the cue track.
Good luck
peter

Peter

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 15, 2010 at 1:52:54 pm

Some talent like to hear the original track while doing ADR and others don't want anything after the beeps. Also, do it in small chunks of dialog. You'll find some alent have an affinity for ADR, but others don't. With those, less dialog per cue is best.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 15, 2010 at 2:02:53 pm

Absolutely John.
I think the key if to create a manageable sized loop to record, and that depends on the talent behind the mic. You can always create another cue if youve split it down into a smaller piece. repeatability is my key word
Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 15, 2010 at 3:50:44 pm

Welcome to the Cow Audio Forum Priscila and Great Advice Everyone,

Hollywood has been using Vocalign software for years to time align alternate takes to work with the clip you like for every other reason but the sound. They say it works about 80% of the time and has great reduced ADR expenses.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Nov 15, 2010 at 6:08:50 pm

Lots of good responses so far. My preference is Automated Dialog Replacement.

If your talent has little or no experience with ADR hold on to your inner peace, the sessions can try the patience of a saint. I've found that with the inexperienced types "repeat after me" works well - play the clip and they repeat it back.

Venue appropriate voice projection - a lot of ADR newbs don't project their voice enough because they can hear themselves so well. When outdoors, in a crowded room, a bar, etc. people naturally speak more loudly. I sometimes lower the volume of their voice in their headphones and put an temp ambience in to get them to push a little more.

Get Vocalign. It does a great job of making most ADR seamless.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]