FORUMS: list search recent posts

Assigning outputs to channels

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Quintero
Assigning outputs to channels
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:59:01 am

For some reason I just don't get it...

Lets say you're recording four individual tracks of audio. Those four tracks are coming into a mixer, being mixed individually, then sent out to a field recorder as individual tracks via 1/4" direct outs on the mixer while also being sent to the cameras Left and Right XLR inputs via a breakaway cable from the mixer's Left and Right main XLR outputs....

When I go back to listen to the tracks on the field recorder, they'll be four individual tracks. That's great. But, is it possible to assign mic one to the left channel of the cameras left stereo track, mic two to the right channel of the cameras left stereo track, mic three to the left channel of the cameras right stereo track, and finally mic four to the right channel of the cameras right stereo track?... This hypothetical situation would happen between a PSC Promix 6 (mixer) and a Panasonic HDX900 (camera).

Essentially, I'm wondering if I'll be able to mix four mono tracks individually to 2 stereo tracks.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Go fly fishing.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Assigning outputs to channels
on Nov 11, 2010 at 2:19:02 am

Your question is a bit confusing because of the terminology you use to describe the four inputs on the camera. That said, yes you can assign/connect any of the direct outs from the mixer to any input on the camera you want. All you have to do is to remember whats where so you can mix it down in post.

Eric

Return to posts index

Dan Quintero
on Nov 11, 2010 at 4:18:08 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to clarify.

If you're mixing 4 different mics to a camera that has 2 xlr inputs, you have to combine those 4 sources into two tracks, right?... I think I just answered my own question.

Go fly fishing.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:28:28 pm

Yes you did ;-))

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 11, 2010 at 1:45:42 pm

Hello Dan and Eric and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

What's curious about the 900 is that the manual talks about playing back 4 tracks, I couldn't find any info about recording 4 separate tracks, although I'm sure I read about it somewhere.

A minor point, actively mixing one and two together and three and four together would require that you monitor both mixes to get the mix right and hope that something doesn't change on one pair while you're listening to the other mix. Usually, you want to keep tracks separate so you can mix them properly in post.

If the 900 does have 4 equally good tracks, you could split four mics so each mic goes to a separate track. A caution to reader who might stumble on this post. Some cameras do offer 4 tracks of audio (the Canon XL2, for example) but at reduced sample rate and/or bit depth. Not all ingest decks recognize the four tracks. Not all video editing softwares recognize the tracks.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]