FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noisy sennheiser G3 lav mic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Olson
Noisy sennheiser G3 lav mic
on Nov 1, 2010 at 9:14:40 pm

Hi all,

Any tips for optimizing my sennheiser G3 wireless set? I believe it has the ME4 microphone. I've been picking up a lot of noise from dress shirts when I clip them on. Also breathing noises and pops.

Anyone have any tips for getting cleaner audio?

EO

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Noisy sennheiser G3 lav mic
on Nov 1, 2010 at 10:12:43 pm

Hi Eric,

Dress shirts made out of satin or silk can reek havoc on your sound. There's not a lot you can do about it except try and tape down the shirt around the mic so it [the shirt] doesn't move (or have the subject change shirts).

It's also possible you have a bad cable going from your receiver into the camera. I've heard of this, and have personally experienced it with the Sennheiser G series. whenever the cable is moved (even slightly) it causes a sound much like clothing rubbing against the mic.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 2, 2010 at 1:53:18 am

Hello Eric and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

In addition to David's excellent advice, try positioning the mic so it's pointed down and not at the face. It's an omni, so even though it's directional at some high frequencies, that should solve the popping problem. You're using the metal pop filter caps on the mics, right? You can also get additional foam filters.

About the shirts. Yes they can be really noisy. CEOs who must bee seen in stiff white shirts are the worst for lavs. At some point, I give up and tell the producer the shirt's the problem and there isn't anything I can do about it.

Sometimes a late afternoon shoot means a 3 o'clock shadow on the neck and that means head turns cause a scraping noise where teh collar meets the skin (and hair).

You can try mounting lower on the chest to get away from the scraping if the ambient noise level allows that.

Could also be rubbing noise is mechanically transferring up the mic cord. Make a loop close to the lav and use a piece of gaffers tape to stick it inside the short or jacket.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Eric Olson
on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:04:25 am

Ty, David,

Thanks for the responses. I think you may be right in that the cable is the problem. I've made sure that the microphone itself is clear of the fabric. I usually do the loop the cable back into the clip but I'll also try the gaffers tape.

Also of note, the ME4 is actually a cardioid mic. So I don't think I can point it away from the subjects mouth without losing a lot of signal. It uses a mesh screen which I haven't seen in other mics, so a foam windguard might help (although it would add to the mics size on screen)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/217486-REG/Sennheiser_ME4_ME4_Lavalie...

Thanks again,

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:11:01 am

Eric,

Right you are. Cardioid. Why use it? Since you seem to be online, if you have skype, try me right now. I'm tyford.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Eric Olson
on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:21:35 am

Hi Ty,

The cardioid was just the mic that came with the wireless set. Any recommendations for something that would work better?

EO

Return to posts index

John Moore
on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:57:07 am

Affordable?: Countryman B3
Smaller?: Countryman B6
Top-Rated Sound & Expensive?: Sanken Cos-11

John Moore
sound.flyingmonkeystudio.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 2, 2010 at 3:02:50 am

Hi John, You're spot on. And I heard a Tram 50 the other day in a comparison and thought it sounded great.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 2, 2010 at 3:01:32 am

Eric,

That's a little strange. The ME2 is what normally ships with the G3. I wonder if someone did some creative swapping out with your kit. A cardioid will most certainly be much more sensitive to popping and wind noise.

The ME2 is OK. The MKE2 is better all around. And if you want to hide the mic, get a Countryman B6 fit with the proper plug for the G3. And/or get it with "the link"; an extra set of connectors and a Countryman Power supply so you can use the B6 as a hardwired mic when that works better for you.

The B6 has a smaller diaphragm than the ME2 or MKE2 so it'll be a little noisier, but way more easy to hide.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Nov 2, 2010 at 5:18:05 am

There are a few different kits available. For a recent church revamp, I ordered a kit that has a cardioid lav, as the omni pattern wasn't tight enough for both the "liveness" of the room and the gain-before-feedback that I needed for sound reinforcement. (Some of the above doesn't apply for audio-for-film, but is handy to know)

Depending on which kit they OP ordered, they might have a stock cardioid lav ship with it.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 2, 2010 at 12:39:20 pm

Jordan,

Gotcha. Eric may have ordered it to solve a particular problem, not realizing that cardioid lavs (as most cardioid mics) are more prone to popping.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Eric Olson
on Nov 2, 2010 at 1:26:35 pm

It's been a while since I ordered the kit but, yes, I was probably thinking the cardioid pattern would help with off-axis noise but in the past I've only every used omnis.

Eric

Return to posts index

Eric Olson
on Nov 2, 2010 at 1:31:12 pm

I'm actually shooting something for the history channel today (not typical) and I think I'll park the G3 and go with my Sony ECM-44B lav(which can be kind of bassy) with an overhead Audio Technica AT875R shotgun for clarity.

What do you think of that combo?

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:14:14 pm

Eric,

Shotguns are not indicated for commercial or industrial interiors. For that you need a super or hyper cardioid.

Try it, but I think you'll not like the ambient sound.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Eric Olson
on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:23:13 pm

Hi Ty,

Our studio is covered in acoustical foam though so I think it should be OK.

EO

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 2, 2010 at 3:53:19 pm

Eric,

Gotcha. That will help a lot.

BTW, completely covered or just too much foam can be a bad thing. Years ago when dinosaurs walked the earth and spectrum analyzers were invented, the BBC found those heavy drapes they had used all through the years were sucking up a disproportionate amount of high frequencies.

If the volume gets too loud in an overly foamed space I can hear the sound of energized foam. It sounds sort of spongy.

You need a balance of absorption (foam and other stuff) and diffusion to achieve a tight, but not dead space.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Nov 8, 2010 at 3:42:22 am

For house of worship use and for more gain before feedback I recomend the Countryman E6 omni ear set. It will give 6-8db more gain before feedback and it's close proximity to the mouth virtually eliminates the big resonent room sound. It's a bit pricy but well worth the investment.

Eric

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Nov 3, 2010 at 1:05:05 am

In my experience, Sennheiser makes a good sounding lav mic but they seem to be more prone to breath pops than other cardioid and omni lav mics on the market. The cardioid version has a huge windscreen but still is highly susceptible to breath pops. I use one on Dick Vitale when I do live hits at his home in Florida and I have found that the breath comes out of his mouth and nose in such a way that he frequently pops the mic. Because it is a cardioid you are really limited to mic placement (vertical movements along the lapel). Even the MKE2 (which I like) is pretty prone to plosives. I've noticed (more so in Europe than here) that when folks use the MKE2 exposed that they often mount it upside down to keep the breath from entering the capsule (you can do this since it is an omni-directional mic). So although I like the sound of the Sennheiser mics, I don't prefer to use them because of this issue.

My $.02 worth. Hope you find something in there helpful.

Rodney Morris
Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]