FORUMS: list search recent posts

IRE levels (HD)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joey salcido
IRE levels (HD)
on Oct 26, 2010 at 8:31:23 pm

Hello, I know that there have been many posts about IRE and black levels but I still couldn't find what I was looking for. I shot my project in HD with a Sony EX1 HXCAM. I've been to about 10 film festivals and in all of them my film turned out dark with the blacks crushed. I've screened with DVDs, Blu-Rays, Digibetacam and HDCAM, all of them were dark on the projector, even the festivals that used modern and operating movie theaters. On a regular TV it looks fine. At the second to last film festival that I attended, the projectionist changed the projector setting to 0 IRE and finally the film looked the way it was supposed to on a projector. He also told me that a lot of other places won't be able to accommodate me with this adjustment. Sure enough, the next festival that I attended I had to sit through yet another dark screening of my film because he couldn't or didn't know how to change the setting.

What can I do to fix this problem? at these other festivals I seemed to be the only one with this issue. I thought that IRE 0 and 7.5 was only an issue with analogue video.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
Re: IRE levels (HD)
on Oct 26, 2010 at 9:50:10 pm

Well, you might have better luck posting in a different forum...

That said, the EX series, while not offering a waveform display, does have both zebra and histogram settings, and most edit applications offer software scopes, which are reasonably accurate. Are you using these?

Return to posts index

joey salcido
on Oct 27, 2010 at 12:17:04 am

Yes, Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't even realize that I posted in "audio professionals"

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 27, 2010 at 2:15:49 am

Joey,

Thanks for stopping by. Come back anytime we can help.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]