FORUMS: list search recent posts

What bit rate to record with Zoom H1?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Connoly
What bit rate to record with Zoom H1?
on Oct 22, 2010 at 11:29:46 am

I was thinking of using the highest bit rate MP3 (320).

Is that overkill? Is there a reason to record larger Wav files for a non-pro (Even for a pro who is not recording music)?

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
Re: What bit rate to record with Zoom H1?
on Oct 22, 2010 at 1:55:52 pm

It depends on the kind of work you're doing. If I'm recording anything of value, 320 MP3 is underkill.

When I record sound for video I use 24-bit 48kHz. Same with music. The only time I would use MP3 is if I were recording a long meeting that wasn't going to be used for any kind of project - just as a reference of what was said during the meeting.

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Oct 23, 2010 at 1:33:27 am

Can you help me get a feel for the importance of audio data? I have never edited audio. If it were a picture, I have a feel for resolution. But I have no idea what audio resolution can do for you and how little is too little. What can you do with high audio resolution? And is the Zoom H1 really capable of capturing all that resolution just because they included the settings for it?

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Oct 25, 2010 at 8:39:26 pm

Can you help me get a feel for the importance of audio data?

>> Maybe

I have no idea what audio resolution can do for you and how little is too little.

>> Don't over-think it. If you're recording sound for use in video, set the recorder at 48kHz 24-bit. That's it.

What can you do with high audio resolution?

>> There isn't really more or less you can do with a higher resolution recording. I can't give you a scientific reason for this, but apparently you have more headroom when you record at 24-bit as opposed to 16-bit. That means that your audio levels will have a little bit more of a safety buffer to avoid clipping (distorting) during peaks (loud parts).

>> I believe that 48kHz 24-bit is a format that's been used in digital video for a really long time. That's why it's better to use this setting. The world of digital video is geared for it.

Is the Zoom H1 really capable of capturing all that resolution just because they included the settings for it?

Yes.

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]