FORUMS: list search recent posts

Active Near Field Monitors for Video

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Grizzle
Active Near Field Monitors for Video
on Oct 13, 2010 at 2:02:22 am

There are too many on the market to sort out! Reviews are always ambiguous!

What do you use? What do you like and dislike?

What would you buy today on a budget?

What do you wish for?

==========

I'll go first in the confessional: Behringer Truth B2031. I don't like them, but I don't hate them.

I also have a Hafler subwoofer the size of a large ottoman. Nice, but I'd be a candidate for one of those SOS audio makeover articles with admonishment about proper crossovers, room EQ, and a critique about my room's non-existent acoustic treatments.

I still have no money. I'm wondering if a pair of Mackie MR8 speakers would deliver $600 in improvements. I've got a pair in a web shopping cart right now, sleeping on the thought overnight.

There are lots of glowing reviews for many brands.

Short of travel to NYC or LA to shop for speakers, I am left to read reviews then purchase without ever auditioning.

I think I would like a $4700.00 set of JBL LSR4328P/5.1 - Active 5.1 Monitoring System with 5 LSR4328P Monitors.

==========

On the other hand, maybe I should just spend every dime I have available on a superb single center channel active speaker. I read an interview with George Martin one time in EQ where is said he believed in first mixing everything to mono. Only after he had carefully crafted a mono mix with EQ carving out space for each distinctive element would he open the mix into a stereo field.

I can buy into this logic. Makes me think the center channel is the most important thing in the room, and that everything else may not be so critical, and might even be marginalized if someone were disciplined about using them only to tweak spatial cues in a video mix.

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
Re: Active Near Field Monitors for Video
on Oct 13, 2010 at 2:09:54 am

Aside -- joke on my choice of Behringer active monitors, a big mismatch from the high end mics (Sennheiser MKH and Sanken lavs) that I use in production:

Some parallel here to a Mark Twain quote often related to me by a friend:

"Wagner's music is better than it sounds."

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 13, 2010 at 3:19:21 am

Hey Danny, welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Mackie 824
Genelec 1031
ADAM A7
Event Opal
K&H 0300
Meyers HD-1

Ready, set, listen fest!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Eric Michael Cap
on Oct 13, 2010 at 3:38:11 am

I use a 5.1 JBL LSR system (6312 Sub w/5 x LSR25p's) and I'm very happy. A lot of Video Post Houses here in L.A. are using JBL LSR 4328's. RMC system works well for me but make sure you spend some money on room treatment also.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]