FORUMS: list search recent posts

best external audio set up?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Omar Itani
best external audio set up?
on Oct 7, 2010 at 10:46:00 pm

i am going to be doing short films so i am going to need something that separates my subject from background noise. does anyone have any recommendations for any external mics (i'm using a cannon 60d)? i have been hearing a lot about the H4n but sense this is not a shotgun mic/recorder won't it just pick up sounds from the whole room?
thanks

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: best external audio set up?
on Oct 8, 2010 at 3:31:17 am

Does "short films" mean scripted drama on location? Presumably something where visible microphones are not acceptable?

What is your budget? How big do you anticipate the "worst case" scene to be (number of speaking parts)? Do you have dedicated sound crew? These are just a few of the questions that you need to resolve before you can think about what to look at for sound equipment.

Return to posts index

Omar Itani
on Oct 8, 2010 at 4:32:03 am

No mics can be seen. i can have one person, maybe two on audio. budget: sub 700. only one person is going to be speaking at a time. i am going to be shooting on a dslr and the next scene i am going to be shooting at is in a grocery store, so i really need something to separate most of the background noise from my subject.
as i said before, i have heard a lot of things from the h2 but i am not sure that is what i need for this type of filming.

thanks for the reply.

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Oct 11, 2010 at 3:24:17 pm

You can use something like an Zoom H4n to record the sound of your shoots, but it's going to require a lot of your attention on set, and extra work in post production. Plus you will be limited to only being able to record the audio of one person at a time, which you will likely find to be an unforgiving limitation.

You are going to need to buy a lavalier microphone to plug into the Zoom H4n. You can get a Countryman EMW lav mic with an XLR connection for $165. On the cheap side of things you can get a Sony ECM-CS10 lav with a mini-plug connector for $31.

On set you need to hide the lav mic on the actor. Connect it to the H4n. Start recording on the H4n, then hide the recorder itself somewhere on the actor's body. Use a clapper slate at the beginning (and maybe at the end) of every take.

In post you're going to need to sync the audio and the video files either manually, or if you're using Final Cut Pro you can buy the Plural Eyes plug-in to sync it for you.

If you're shooting in a noisy supermarket, expect to hear a noisy supermarket in the audio. If the lav is placed well on your talent, you will hear the actor primarily. But if you're making the decision to shoot in noisy locations, expect noisy audio.

http://www.sam-mallery.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]