FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reducing Echo in studio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Rowe
Reducing Echo in studio
on Oct 1, 2010 at 8:27:44 pm

Our video production studio consists of a large cyc half green and half white. We currently put a wireless lavaliere on our talent, but would like to move to a technique that better hides the microphone. One attempt was using vampire clips for the lav, but they kept breaking. The other was to use a shotgun mic on a boom. The ceiling is the sound absorbing acoustic tile (that could be better)and the floor is painted concrete. We hung three large blackout curtains roughly 12'x 18' to box in the talent. The shotgun almost works, but we can't reduce the echo to acceptable levels. Our thoughts are the mic is not designed for it? Its a Sennheiser, but I can't locate the model. Perhaps a big windscreen? We don't have a huge budget, so any suggestion would be really helpful.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Reducing Echo in studio
on Oct 2, 2010 at 3:27:02 pm

Hello Jeffrey and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Not enough information here.

Whose vampire clips are you breaking and how?

Did they achieve the desired results before you broke them?

Smaller lavs are more easily hidden. Try the Countryman B6.

Shotgun mics are not the mic of choice for interiors unless the interior is a well-damped sound stage. A hyper or supercardioid is a better choice but you need that on a boom and not more than about 16" from the talent's mouth, otherwise you hear the room.

This may be helpful. http://gallery.me.com/tyreeford#100038

Windscreens keep wind out of the microphone. They do nothing to alter room acoustics other than to knock off a little high frequency.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Reducing Echo in studio
on Oct 5, 2010 at 2:08:02 pm

There are so many places to hide a tiny lav (Tram TR50, Countryman B6, Sony ECM 77B, etc.)

In the bend of a shirt collar, under a suit lapel, on top of the talent's shoulder,
even in the talents HAIR (unless the talent's hairline looks like mine or Ty Ford's. ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]