FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannon T2i Micing

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raine Vivian
Cannon T2i Micing
on Oct 1, 2010 at 7:42:12 pm

Hello my friends!
Alright so, I got a Cannon T2i that I need to start getting good audio off of without recording the audio on a separate recording device.

I understand that sadly the Cannon T2i has that damned AGC that you cant turn off. I need a mic setup for a news room (with 1 anchorman) and a dynamic mic for street interviews.

As far as the New's Room mic, I'm thinking about going with the NTG-2 Rode shotgun mic. I've seen/heard some test's and it seems like it will work out very well, for how simplistic the audio will be. The only thing I am worried about is how well it will do with that damned AGC. I did see a video where this guy plugged a mp3 player into the right channel to keep the AGC (audio gain control) at a constant level, but that's ridiculous. Has anybody used a shotgun mic of this caliber on the Cannon T2i or 550D?

For the street interview mic I'm just thinking about getting a dynamic mic. Any Suggestions? Thanks guys!

-Raine Vivian

http://www.rainevivian.net
http://www.seaboundesign.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Cannon T2i Micing
on Oct 2, 2010 at 3:17:25 pm

Hello Raine and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

There's a quote that comes to mind, "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

Although not exactly pertinent, the point I'm trying to make is that you have a camera with stated AGC problems. No mic is going to make it or allow it to sound good.

Your time spent trying to teach it to sing will be frustrating for you. Cameras, to my knowledge, have not yet been imbued with emotions, so it's not likely that the Canon will be annoyed.

If you must use the camera for video, your best solution for audio is to double record. Shooting good video with good audio is not trivial. Remember, video without audio is simply surveillance.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]