FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mobile Phone Interference with Sennheiser Radio Mics

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul McDermott
Mobile Phone Interference with Sennheiser Radio Mics
on Sep 29, 2010 at 1:42:37 pm

Hi
I was shooting a wedding recently using a shotgun mic and Sennheiser G2 radio mics. I got a lot of mobile phone interference throughout the speeches on the radio mics. I'm based in Ireland but am still wondering if there are any particular frequencies that are less prone to mobile phone interference?

Thanks
Paul

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Mobile Phone Interference with Sennheiser Radio Mics
on Sep 29, 2010 at 4:48:15 pm

Hello Paul and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I don't think there's been a study of that. You're talking about that bumble/flutter sound or do you hear people talking?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Paul McDermott
on Sep 29, 2010 at 10:14:20 pm

It was the more the mumble flutter. The same sound you hear if a mobile is about to ring and it's beside speakers.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 29, 2010 at 10:42:52 pm

Paul,

I don't know anyone who has a magic bullet for that and i've heard it come in over hard wired mics as well.

Several points that deserve repeating.

1. Balanced connectors and circuits do a better job than unbalanced.

2. Better connectors: molded plastic plugs are inadequate. You need grounded shields.
These help. http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/XLR-Co...

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:10:40 pm

Was the radio mic going in on a jack or xlr?
Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

Paul McDermott
on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:53:57 pm

The radio mic goes in on a jack to the transmitter

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 30, 2010 at 2:02:24 pm

Cell phones are notorious generators of RFI (RF Interference). As Ty mentioned, it even affects hard-wired connections when close enough. The reason is that you have the better part of 1 watt of high-frequency pulsed RF in a small, convenient pocket-size package. It is essentially the same kind of technology used for decades in eastern Europe to jam radio signals. It should come as no surprise that such broad-band RF noise should affect wireless microphones of most any quality, and in most any radio band. They are simply bad news everywhere.

It is reputed that a major film producer carries a hammer and nails on the set. If any cast or crew is caught with a cell phone causing interference, either audible or RFI, the device is confiscated and nailed to the nearest doorpost or fence post. Perhaps someday I will have the kind of clout to make that kind of scheme work.

I have abandoned using wireless mics in some live venues because it is impossible to get an audience to turn off all RF emitting devices with 100% compliance. It doesn't even happen on commercial airplanes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]