FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mounting Countryman EMW directly to skin or other side address lavs

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Martin
Mounting Countryman EMW directly to skin or other side address lavs
on Sep 19, 2010 at 4:31:26 am

I'm a pro when it comes to mounting end address lavs to just about anywhere.

Now I'm looking for options, ideas, and techniques for mounting my new Countryman EMW (side address lav) directly to the skin.

Note: The package comes only with the lav, a case, vamp mount, 2 tie clips.

TIA,

-Michael Martin
Martin Media Designs
Location Sound/Audio Post Production/Sound Design

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Mounting Countryman EMW directly to skin or other side address lavs
on Sep 19, 2010 at 1:50:20 pm

Michael,

Rycote Stickies, Undercovers and Overcovers do a nice job.

http://www.rycote.com/products/personal_mic_solutions/stickie/

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 20, 2010 at 8:18:25 pm

Both great.

So is Moleskin (available at any local drug store in the Dr. Scholes footcare display)

I kinda like it better since you can cut the pieces as small or large as you need.

Still, they all work fine when used properly.

(don't forget to use makeup to match the patch to the skintone if it's going to be seen!)

FCP since NAB 1999
creator: muti-track movies
http://www.starteditingnow.com

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
on Sep 20, 2010 at 9:49:48 pm

I appreciate the repsonses but I wanted a little more specific detail on mounting. I can mount an end address lav easily because I can cover the whole thing except for the of top of the capsule with mole skin. In the case of the emw I'm not sure how you would use mole skin on it unless you cut a window for the windscreen or do you just cover the entire mic body? I could use top stick but some actors complain that it sticks too well and tears at their skin.

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Sep 24, 2010 at 12:54:22 pm

When attaching a Tram TR-50 to skin I use a tape down holder with Top Stick attached (generally) to the middle of the chest (this set up works better on a woman than a man). The mic holder on the tape down keeps the capsule from touching/rubbing anything (when the capsule is mounted pointed toward the body). With the Trams, one side of the mic has a mesh screen and the other side is smooth plastic. I mount the mic so that the smooth part is facing the clothing. With the EMWs, however, there is a mesh screen on both sides of the mic which makes mounting more difficult. This is one of the reasons that I ditched the EMWs for the Trams many years ago, although sonically I prefer the EMW. If Countryman makes a tape down clip then that might be the way to go. Ty's suggestion about the Rycote products is probably a good one, but I've not used the undercovers yet so I can't make an educated comment.

Here's the tape down holder from Tram:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/258085-REG/Tram_BTD.html

If I have to tape a mic to skin I almost always grab the Sanken COS-11 and moleskin.

Rodney Morris
Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
on Sep 24, 2010 at 2:57:57 pm

Hi Rodney,
I found a similar answer on jwsound.net but you make your own with the vamp clip, medical tape and so fourth. I've tried it and it works great. It'd just be nice to have a real tape down. I also just got the Rycote undercovers, I'll try that out today.

BTW, my EMW only has one side with a screen it's brand new and is also referred to as an isomax. Maybe this is a different version?

Thanks,

-Michael Martin
Martin Media Company LLC
Location Sound/Audio Post Production/Sound Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]