FORUMS: list search recent posts

Studio recorded sound, 'outside' simulation.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Brosens
Studio recorded sound, 'outside' simulation.
on Sep 16, 2010 at 12:45:40 pm

Hello,

I have a soundclip of an actors voice recorded in a studio.
Is it possible to edit the clip in a way to make it sound like it was recorded outside?

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
Re: Studio recorded sound, 'outside' simulation.
on Sep 16, 2010 at 4:59:22 pm

It might help if we know what tools you have available.

The "simple" solution is to use AltiVerb or another IR reverb. Just select the appropriate preset - forest, office park, etc. - and you're ready to go.

Other reverbs will require a lot of tweaking to achieve the effect, but it can be done. Before I had AltiVerb I would use several delays and reverbs in combination - slap delay, reverb, a different slap delay, another reverb - and would come fairly close. I would have to print the the final result as so many plugs at the same time were really hogging the CPU when it came time to mix.

Return to posts index

Edward Brosens
on Sep 16, 2010 at 7:31:01 pm

I have a couple of standard filters that ship with Final Cut Pro and Soundtrack Pro.

Thank you Bob, that was very helpful.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 16, 2010 at 8:32:35 pm

I'd suggest you start by adding ambient background sound effects to create/establish the outdoors location. Then, add the dialog track and use some eq to lose a bit of bass and maybe a bit off the top. After that you can try various other FX. There is at least one reverb effect in FCP, but I'm not sure it'll be that useful. After all, reverb is usually associated with a room, not outdoors where where sound is rarely reflected. I think Bob was suggesting using it to change the character of the sound in a way that it doesn't sound perfect as it would in the studio. I don't think FCP's reverb can be that flexibly adjusted. Experiment with the tools you have. When you get part way and need help, post a clip and folks can respond.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:25:45 pm

Not sure what "make it sound like it was recorded outside" means?
Do you mean...
1) The studio recording is not "dead", there are some echoes and other audible cues of interior location?
or....
2) The studio recording is totally dead (for dialog that is a GOOD thing) and it sounds completely neutral/unnatural.

For #1, as others have suggested there may be gating, filters, etc that can recover a less-than-optimal studio dialog track. (And/or you can "cover" them with...

For #2, add background SFX as appropriate. Whether it is a service pit at the Indianapolis 500, or the wind whistling across the peak of Mt. Everest or whatever.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]