FORUMS: list search recent posts

Board Feed

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurent Torno III
Board Feed
on Sep 12, 2010 at 3:45:32 pm

Hello audio Pros,

I'm relatively new to video and audio and I have a question regarding board feeds for video cameras at LIVE events. I know it can be good to get both on camera audio and a board feed if possible. I've done this on more than one occasion with cooperation from the audio tech/engineer at different venues. In the past, I have been helped by experienced, generous front of house audio guys with lots of gear and knowledge. Just last Friday, however, I was less successful getting a good board feed due to more than one issue. I know this is my problem, not the FOH person's problem, I just want to be best equipped to deal with this issue when it arrises again.

If I can only get a Line Out of the board to a Sennheiser G2 wireless transmitter, what is a good starting point for settings on my transmitter and wireless receiver going into a Panasonic 170, mic level and/or line level? Should I travel with line level to mic level "pads" for board feed and what do these cost?

On another subject, should I set my lav's to go into the Pannie 170 at line level or do most Pros set there lav transmitter and receiver straight into their video camera for mic level?

Apologies for noob questions which may have been addressed in part on other forums. All the Best, -LT3

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Board Feed
on Sep 12, 2010 at 4:41:59 pm

Pads are always a good addition to an audio kit when you do a lot of live work. Pros will use a mixer to feed the camera because they can easily monitor and adjust levels, and mixers have flexible ins and outs so matching up mic/line levels is rarely a problem. And, if the camera allows, they can also monitor playback as the camera is recording. I'm not that familiar with the specifics of the G2, but with a pad you can always adjust the level to make the G2 happy.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Laurent Torno III
on Sep 13, 2010 at 1:29:34 am

Thanks, John.

Any other advice re wireless transmitter and receiver settings on the Sennheiser G2's welcome for mic or line input to Panasonic 170 and Panasonic 500.

CHEERS
LT3

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 13, 2010 at 12:05:23 pm

Hello Laurent and welcome to the Cow AUdio Forum.

As John suggests, a handful of adapters can come in handy, especially on a shoot. Markertek sells a small chambered box full of different audio adapters. Not a bad idea if you'll be working in a lot of different venues with unknowable gear.

Line level, btw, can be consumer line level (-10) or pro (0 or +4). Getting a feed from a live console is an exercise in paying attention. Pick the right hole and you're golden, pick the wrong hole and you can usually make it work if you have the right adapters.

The G2/G3 have optional adapter cables that allow line level input. I'm not certain if they refer to consumer or pro line level, but a little research on your part should clear that up. I'm guessing that it's Pro. When you find out, please let us know.

As for outputs to camera, I usually go from wireless mic to a good mixer. I use the Sound Device 442. A Sound Devices 302 is a very good starter mixer. Its outputs can be switched from mic to pro line, so whatever you need to feed, you're OK.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 14, 2010 at 4:15:02 pm

-40 db XLR pads will drop the mixer out to a mic level to send into a G2 transmitter.
Get a post fader aux or group feed.
Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

Laurent Torno III
on Sep 14, 2010 at 5:59:32 pm

Peter,
Thank you for weighing in on this thread with
preference for type of board feed and pad for Sennheiser G2 Transmitter.
Lots to Learn & All the Best,
LT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]